In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thumb trigger Mauser

chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
My nephew just picked up a unique Obendorf Mauser dated 1908 that looks like a K98.Gun is beautifully engraved and all the work looks like original factory quality.
However among many other oddities this Mauser has a Thumb Trigger.
I have never seen one and was wondering if anyone else has any knowledge of this thing.
I can't post pictures so I would be willing to send phone pictures to anyone interested.
Gun will not be for sale -Im just very intrigued.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely, made for a person with disabilities?

Post a description of all markings and proof marks. To see if was a original military rifle, that has been sportized. Or started out as a commercial Mauser. Before being altered with thumb trigger, engraving etc.

In May of 45. Our guys went in, and confiscated all civilian firearms in Germany. That were in the U.S. sector of Germany. Many of the high quality guns, that weren't destroyed. Found their way back to the States, in G.I. duffel bags. Wouldn't be a bit surprised. If this is the way, your rifle wound up over on his side of the pond.

EDIT #1,

"Waffenfabrik Mauser A.-G. Oberndorf A/N 1908", Was the standard receiver marking. Found on, G 98, military rifles.

The Germans were real fussy, about proof marks. Unless it was reworked by private individual, for a family member? It should have commercial proof marks. Showing that it had been reworked and reproofed. To commercial standards. Might be there are some proof marks. Not visible below the wood line?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks
    I will post a complete description of the gun for help in identifying !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK here goes
    Barrel is 28 inches long
    Waffenfabrik -- Mauser A-G --Oberndorf a/n---1908 ----on the receiver ring
    Checkered Steel butt plate with trapdoor ( for ammo not cleaning rod)
    No caliber marking but a very small 8.00 at bottom of receiver ring-8mm?
    Numbers match on barrel,receiver and bolt body 24865
    Sporting front sight.
    Beautiful Oak leaf shallow engraving --could be acid etched
    Floor plate with Stag in wooded scene
    NO trigger guard-has been replaced with finger grip like a pistol fore grip. Beautifully engraved
    With bolt remover I can see where the thumb trigger mechanism is mated to the receiver.
    Thumb trigger mechanism has a slot for a detachable rear sight
    Sling swivels at front single band
    Wood is beautiful Walnut with very fine checkering
    Stock has a Cheek piece
    All work on the gun is first class ,either a master gunsmith or one at the factory.

With a closer look I believe this was originally a military gun .

Anyone have any information about this gun I would really like to hear from you

Thanks
    Pete
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No other thoughts on this beautiful unique rifle ?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a picture once, so I know what you are talking about.
    As to who ordered it and who made it and all that provenance stuff, I can't help.