In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg 930

marcus396marcus396 Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a 930 waterfowl 12 gauge 28" smooth bore with modified choke installed . Front fiber.optic sight. With deer slugs for smooth bore . My point of impact from point of aim at center target is 14" low right. (5 oclock). No one has an idea what's wrong.. my buddies 930 duck cmd. Same thing...same set up.i dont want to spend the money on slug bbl and have same issue... any help. Greatly appreciated.

Comments

• marcus396marcus396 Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone hadnle one of these yet? Any better tham the previous models like the 5500 or 9200?
    edited November -1
    WILL THE 5500 AND 9200 MAG RXT.WORK ON THE 930 MODEL?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, if you don't want to get adjustable sights, or a slug specific barrel? Your going to have to bend the barrel. So that the point of impact, corresponds with your sight picture.

That said. Years ago, I did a lot of shooting wit slugs. With the setup you know have. Smooth bore barrel. Just using the front bead, and no conventional rear sight. I wouldn't shoot at anything, at over 50 yds.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try shooting with the choke tube removed and / or an improved cylinder tube. If you are going to hunt deer a slug barrel is well worth the cost. It is shorter, has adjustable sights and bored tighter to shoot slugs accurately.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the pattern with shot shoot your point of aim at 40 yards or is it low and to the right also?

Have you tried other loads with the slugs?

I have shot quite a few of my cast Lyman sabot slugs in my 20" smooth bore 870 Remington Express. I cut the longer barrel back and installed screw in chokes. IIRC the one marked Skeet #2 was what I used. I also installed a mid bead in the rib to serve as my rear sight. It is pistol gripped with an extended magazine. When I was tuned up, 3# coffee cans at 90 yards were toast.

If your receiver is D&T you could add a rear sight and perhaps make a clamp/tape/glue on front sight to work with it. Back in the day I made a tape on sight for my H&R Topper out of about 1/2" wide heavy aluminium strip bent up with a tab ^ at the front and a V notch at the back. I just bent the front until I shot point of aim. Not real heavy duty, but stayed in place well enough considering.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/930/
    edited November -1
    65 yards I aim 14" low right 0'oclock to consistantly hit center target . I'm going to try the improved.. tried adding a rear site to vr.. made it worse even with bore site. No one I know has a 930 slug bbl. Not many options left.. thanks for all the replies .
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it has vent rib, you can buy adjustable iron sights that bolt on the vent rib, something to consider.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I understand your last post, the gun is shooting high to point-of-aim. This is normal for the line-of-sight vs. the bore axis geometry of a shotgun. The line-of-sight is slanting downward making you raise the barrel to see the sights. As I see it your only solution is to add a higher front sight which will lower the bore axis. There are sights that bolt on to the rib for shooting slugs.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 'rifled choke' will work just as well as a 'rifled barrel'. Far less expensive.

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-product-details-R.php?Mossberg-500-Choke-Tubes&mf=9
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    smooth bore---shoot old style "foster" slugs....rifled barrel>>>>shoot sabot slugs,,,,and yes to the improved cylinder or cylinder choke for old style slugs
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    Try shooting with the choke tube removed and / or an improved cylinder tube. If you are going to hunt deer a slug barrel is well worth the cost. It is shorter, has adjustable sights and bored tighter to shoot slugs accurately.
    do not shoot slugs without a choke tube in place. those tiny threads get filled up to the point you won't get a tube back in there.