In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Paging Bert - Winchester 90-06 question

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a slide-action - take-down .22 s,l,lr - hexagonal barrel - Winchester rifle that I picked up at a gun show. On the front of the receiver its marked 521652 - with the letter "B" below the numerals. The same serial number is behind the trigger guard but without the "B".

I can find no information in either the "Blue Book" or "Standard Catalog" that matches this rifle. Any light you can shed on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards - AQH

Comments

• Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are the markings on the barrel and top tang?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The barrel is marked "WINCHESTER MODEL 90-06" - next below:".22 S,L,LR" on the flat left of center looking down from the top.

Marks on top tang behind hammer: "TRADE MARK" next below: "WINCHESTER" next below: "REG.U.S.PAT.OFF.&FGN"

Best Regards- AQH
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Until Bert checks in, I'll share a reply to the same question from Bert that I found on another forum with a Google search. In that case, there were some pictures posted but it was described exactly as you have:

"You have a piece parts "Frankenchester" rifle. It is not factory original....". He went on to comment on the finish on the pictured gun.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aftermarket replacement barrel from Numrich or Brownells with the faster 1-16" twist for the .22LR.
    The rifle is "probably" a Model 1890 made in 1912.The "B" serial number suffix indicates a production change. The cartridge lifter would have to be from a 1906 or Mod 62 to handle .22LR, Long, and Short. 1890's had a curved buttplate, and the 1906 was flat.
    AQH, if you can post pics, one of the markings, the stocks, and the lifter. Bert probably has more.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Adam,

The "B" under the serial number on the receiver frame positively identifies it as a Model 1906 (the Model 1890 receivers were marked with an "A").

I suspect that the barrel is actually octagon (8-sided) versus hexagon (6-sided). Based on the barrel marking you mention, it is an aftermarket replacement item.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Many Thanks for the replies. I only have a cell phone, not a good digital Nikon/Cannon camera and only know how to send the photo from the cell phone as an e-mail. If someone here knows how to handle it from there - I will take cell phone photos and e-mail them. To prevent your e-mail address from appearing here, mine is AdamsQuailHunter@comcast.net-it been posted here before without any problems.

The barrel is not octagonal-it is hexagonal-there are only 6 flats.

Any idea why Winchester produced such barrels marked: MODEL 90-06 ??

Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AdamsQuailHunter
    Many Thanks for the replies. I only have a cell phone, not a good digital Nikon/Cannon camera and only know how to send the photo from the cell phone as an e-mail. If someone here knows how to handle it from there - I will take cell phone photos and e-mail them. To prevent your e-mail address from appearing here, mine is AdamsQuailHunter@comcast.net-it been posted here before without any problems.

The barrel is not octagonal-it is hexagonal-there are only 6 flats.

Any idea why Winchester produced such barrels marked: MODEL 90-06 ??

Best Regards - AQH

Winchester did not manufacture that barrel. I would be very shocked if the barrel is actually hexagonal. Winchester never made a 6-sided (hexagonal) barrel. If the top (12 o'clock), side (3 o'clock), bottom (6 o'clock), and opposite side (9 o'clock) surfaces are flat, it is an octagon barrel... count the flats.

You can send the pictures to me at Win1885@msn.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Bert - If Winchester did not make the barrel which says "WINCHESTER MODEL 90-06" --- might I ask who was the barrel made by?

As soon as I have some decent light outside, I will take photos for you and put numbers on the flat surfaces of which there are six. If you count the little sharp edges of the flats - then there are eight of them - if that is what makes it octagonal then its octagonal.

Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AdamsQuailHunter
    Hello Bert - If Winchester did not make the barrel which says "WINCHESTER MODEL 90-06" --- might I ask who was the barrel made by?

As soon as I have some decent light outside, I will take photos for you and put numbers on the flat surfaces of which there are six. If you count the little sharp edges of the flats - then there are eight of them - if that is what makes it octagonal then its octagonal.

Best Regards - AQH

If there are (8) corners, there are also (8) flats. A hexagon only has (6) corners. When you number the flats on your rifle's barrel, you will find that it is a true octagon.

In regards to who made the barrel, it was most likely Numrich.