In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Retention Strap on Holster for CCW?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
Is it worth it to have it or not? Can you just leave it unsnap or tucked away for quick draw and have the best of both worlds? Comments, please.

Thanks
serf

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    It's worth having on an ankle holster for sure.
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    It's worth having on an ankle holster for sure.

Not allowed in Texas CCW rules but hey I see your point there.

serf
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick draw is in its own specialty world that has little to do with everyday carry.

The shoulder holster I like for my 1911 had no strap and didn't one because it elastically gripped the pistol which fit deep inside and had sort of * over the top of the pistol. Safariland

The IWB one has a thumb break snap behind the hammer, easy/fast enough to use. Pistol fits fairly loose in holster, but it is also held by the belt against the body somewhat. Mine is velcro in place and could be removed completely. I use it.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who lives in Houston and says the retention strap is only for open carry not concealed carry. Are you going to open carry ever? If not then don?t buy a holster with a strap.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember the video of the FBI agent doing a back flip at a dance, & having his CCW fall out of the holster? It fired when he picked it up & negligently pulled the trigger, wounding a bystander.

If not a strap, you need some form of retention you can trust when the unexpected happens.

Neal
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Ruger SP101 in a Bianchi crossdraw that has a thumb break retention. Unfortunately, the holster is too tight to use the thumb break easily. The fit is tight enough to hold the gun w/o the strap so I just leave it unsnapped except when I'm doing field inspections which require a lot of stooping and bending. When the physical activity is over, I unsnap the thumb break.
    I've been expecting the fit to loosen a bit but after 6 months of use, it's still very snug.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless your into break dancing, like the FBI guy. Or have to go through, a lot of physical contortions like Mobuck. I don't see the need for a retention strap on a CCW, at all.

The holsters with retention straps. That I used in the past, were belt holsters. Even then, unless the gun was a sloppy loose fit in the holster. Never used the strap. Unless I was hiking in rough country. Or riding a quad.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the gun and where you carry it. My Glocks all ride in OWB kydex Blackhawk Serpa CQC holsters and have for years. My LCP is usually in a nylon ankle holster with a strap.
    What are you carrying and how do you carry it?
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All good points to ponder. Aside from finding what works for you, my .02 is to forget the ?quick draw? idea. If it gets to be ?quick draw? time with a CCW, you?ve already lost. Concentrate on carry comfort, accessibility, retention and situational awareness.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Depends on the gun and where you carry it. My Glocks all ride in OWB kydex Blackhawk Serpa CQC holsters and have for years. My LCP is usually in a nylon ankle holster with a strap.
    What are you carrying and how do you carry it?

Ruger SR9C 9mm and Generic Belt Nylon holster with a retention strap.

serf