In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More Bert H! 1952 Win '94 Carbine butt plate

user1919user1919 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1952 Win '94 with a plastic black and white butt plate. Seems from most everything I've seen a metal plate is at least much more typical. However, I have seen plastic/rubber ones that appear to be factory.
I haven't removed the plastic black and white butt plate yet, because I don't know really know what's behind it.
I think I want to replace with a steel butt plate.
I really hate the white. I might be able to live with just the black plastic.
I'd like to remove the glued? on medallion but I'm pretty sure that will mess with the wood finish.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know how to paste a pic in this message or I would.
Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paul,

In 1952, the butt plate used on the Model 94 was a flat checkered steel plate. Plastic butt plates were never used on any of the pre-64 Model 94 Carbines.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert,
    I tested the butt plate with a magnet and it's metal (checkered) held with two slot screws.
    Any idea what the white piece is that is between the butt plate and the stock?
    Also, I have two pics of the inside of the barrel. Would you mind if I emailed them to you and you could let me know what you think of the barrel?
    If not, that's okay I understand.
    Thanks again,
    Paul P

quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Paul,

In 1952, the butt plate used on the Model 94 was a flat checkered steel plate. Plastic butt plates were never used on any of the pre-64 Model 94 Carbines.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by user1919
    Hi Bert,
    I tested the butt plate with a magnet and it's metal (checkered) held with two slot screws.
    Also, I have two pics of the inside of the barrel. Would you mind if I emailed them to you and you could let me know what you think of the barrel?
    Thanks again,
    Paul P

quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Paul,

The white piece is just a spacer to slightly extend the length of pull. It should come right off.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by user1919
    Hi Bert,
    Thanks again,
    Paul P

Go ahead and send them. It will be early evening before I can get to them though.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    White spacer might be glued, so a little work might be in order. I have had several of these on firearms and wonder WTH are you thinking and WHY?
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the spacer is glued, I have found that taking the butt stock off the receiver and putting it in the freezer overnight usually makes the glue very brittle and weakens its grip so that it flakes right off.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    If the spacer is glued, I have found that taking the butt stock off the receiver and putting it in the freezer overnight usually makes the glue very brittle and weakens its grip so that it flakes right off.

If that doesn't work, go the other way and heat it up.
    A heat gun is best but a stove burner is okay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the ideas. I also have freeze/cold spray that might work too.
    Is there a way to paste pics in this message or in an email to another member through this forum? The insert image [img][/img] doesn't work for me or I don't know how to use it correctly.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my experience the white spacer is basically a cosmetic thing. Older Marlins are famous for their spacers shrinking up, and being replaced by a replacement piece carved out of a 5 gallon bucket lid. Looking at an older collectible gun with a non shrunken white spacer is usually a clue that it has been messed with.