In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning 10/71 pistol

W92fanW92fan Member Posts: 92
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
I plan to buy a semi-auto pistol, and have decided that a .380 would best suit my needs and preferences. In general, I like the looks of older designs rather than newer stuff. I think the Browning 10/71 is a good looking gun, which could also be a shooter.
I would appreciate thoughts from 10/71 owners about this gun. Does it live up to Browning's usually good reputation ? Does it have any particular faults or weaknesses, etc. ?
Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Owned one for a short time, years ago. Very unusual low production model. Due the modifications, made in the basic Model 1910. So that they could be imported, and sold in the U.S. After the gun control act of 1968. Went into effect.

The one I owned shot OK. But was very unusual, for a .380 personal protection handgun. Because of the target sights.

They were not popular, when sold in the 70's. Jump on it, if it's factory original. And if you can buy it at a reasonable price.

pix625906225.jpg
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one- bought it for a song- only reason I bought it. Unlike the usual Brownings, has a bit of a gritty trigger. Had to send off to Canada for a mag. Bit of an odd duck- little too big for easy concealed carry, not a common round for a target pistol. But for $100......
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might also want to look at the Remington 51.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You have pretty much described me and the stuff that interests me: "odd duck". I apologize for not mentioning that this is intended for home and range use rather than carry. That's partly why I'm looking for something with adjustable sights.quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    I have one- bought it for a song- only reason I bought it. Unlike the usual Brownings, has a bit of a gritty trigger. Had to send off to Canada for a mag. Bit of an odd duck- little too big for easy concealed carry, not a common round for a target pistol. But for $100......
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by W92fan
    You have pretty much described me and the stuff that interests me: "odd duck". I apologize for not mentioning that this is intended for home and range use rather than carry. That's partly why I'm looking for something with adjustable sights.

No offense! Your entitled to use it, however as you see fit.

But nowadays it, (factory original, and in excellent condition). It would be a big buck collectors item. Specially to the folks who collect Browning guns. They were only made for a short time in the early 70's, and sold in limited numbers.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    You might also want to look at the Remington 51.

Neal

An original vintage period piece - not the new so called model 51 which has been a liability disaster

Mike
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you take care of it, the 71 will still be a big bucks collector item. Shooting guns doesn't hurt them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just as vintage cars should be enjoyed (driven), vintage guns should be reasonably used and enjoyed for targets or harvesting game.
    I think it is unfortunate that guns (and cars) that are built, but never used, tend to be valued higher than those that have been used, at least lightly used but not trashed. This is not to criticize collectors, just my feeling about the way things are. Perhaps it comes from my being a retired machinist: after expending time and effort to make something, use it.
    I always enjoy the various discussions and comments on the Forum.