In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garand barrel markings?

oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have an idea what the barrel markings mean on this SA Garand--pictures 5&6?

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/779171382

Clarification added-- I am not considering buying this, just asking out of curiosity. Seller reveals their ignorance by listing it as a Grand and offering no useful info in the description. The opening bid is wishful thinking.

I suspect the barrel is a replacement made outside the US but that's just a guess and why I'm asking.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That "Wheel" looking marking, appears vaguely similar to a Siamese proof mark. I don't know if the Siamese/Thai, military used M 1's? But they sure were armed with a strange assortment of other guns, over the years.

Years ago I had a 5 mm Clement pistol, made in Belgium. In the very early years of the 20th Century. With a Siamese, "Wheel" proof mark.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That spoke wheel is the Taiwanese property mark proof. Receiver is Springfield, barrel is Taiwan, speculated done in 1969 by the "69" stamp. It's been rode hard and put up wet, no way is he going to get that kind of money for it.
    Rufe, there's a couple of those round spoke proofs that all look the same.
    Taiwanese made M-14

Taiwan-M14-markings.jpg

Siamese Mauser

59035c9ab254222361c5fe616feeafad97da53b.pjpg
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So a few observations...

That gun has been rode hard and put away wet - sure signs of third world country issue and abuse in a tropical country

Worst description ever with damn near zero details or data

Did this come out of the Philippines returns grouping recently received by the CMP???

The proof mark sure looks like the receiver crest on my Siamese Mauser

A grand for this gun - in this condition with this finish and wood (am I missing something or is the seller out of his mind crazy for coco puffs)

I have not seen one this bad since I handled a bring back from Haiti that the warlords technicals had abused post baby doc era

Somebody please tell me what I am missing

Mike
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possibly an Italian Beretta made post war bbl is my guess

Mike
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That seller is dreaming. It might get a $200 bid if he's lucky. It is almost in relic condition.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,357 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    That seller is dreaming. It might get a $200 bid if he's lucky. It is almost in relic condition.
    Yep, beat all to rat crap for sure.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your insights.