In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 build set screw gas block w/delta ring

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys!

I had endeavored to pin a standard AR-15 sight and gas block on an AR-15 barrel and failed miserably. I want to salvage the build by putting on a set screw type gas block. Do you guys think that I can successfully run a set screw type gas block with a delta ring type handguard pushing against it without cutting notches into the barrel for the set screws?

Should I try it without cutting notches, with cutting notches, or just find something without a delta ring?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't take much to provide a dimple for a set screw to lock into. There are locking compounds that would hold the block in place.
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that my best bet is to use a free float hand guard, but it is a shame to get stuck with the delta ring and spring and all that.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't "build" AR's, I "assemble AR parts into a firearm".
    That said, I've "assembled" several with set-screw gas blocks and standard handguards. None have come loose. Consider the "impulse" force of 50K psi gas trying to blow the gas block off the barrel during cycling.
    If you don't feel confident with the set screws, add some "stud retainer" compound to the joint. Make sure you don't intend to change the gas block later or be prepared to cut the first one off.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I don't "build" AR's, I "assemble AR parts into a firearm".
    That said, I've "assembled" several with set-screw gas blocks and standard handguards. None have come loose. Consider the "impulse" force of 50K psi gas trying to blow the gas block off the barrel during cycling.
    If you don't feel confident with the set screws, add some "stud retainer" compound to the joint. Make sure you don't intend to change the gas block later or be prepared to cut the first one off.

Heat will break the bond of a locking compound (ex: Loctite Red)

550 degrees F should do the trick (localized)

http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/how-to-remove-red-threadlocker/
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my personal experience. (1), Make sure the gas block is lined up correctly, with the gas port in the barrel. (2), The hole in the gas tube lines up correctly with the hole in the block. The one I put together last summer. The hole in the gas tube was half a hole off, from the hole in the gas block. Causing short stroking and malfunctions, with commercial, (lawyer proof), ammo.

Because your using a rifle length gas tube. The above is critical. Because the longer the gas tube, the greater it's affect on required gas pressure to function the mechanism.

After you get it together, and test fire it. If your having short stroking and malfunctions. With commercial ammo. You might consider, opening up the gas port in the barrel. And use a gas block with a adjustable gas mechanism. To insure positive function.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Heat will break the bond of a locking compound"

There is a difference between "thread locking" and "stud retaining" compound. Red LokTite is nothing compared to stud retainer BTW.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39Lover
    Hi guys!

I had endeavored to pin a standard AR-15 sight and gas block on an AR-15 barrel and failed miserably. I want to salvage the build by putting on a set screw type gas block. Do you guys think that I can successfully run a set screw type gas block with a delta ring type handguard pushing against it without cutting notches into the barrel for the set screws?

Should I try it without cutting notches, with cutting notches, or just find something without a delta ring?

Perhaps this falls under personal preference, but having built a fair number to include the above titled 7.62X30 and a 458 SOCOM I'm most comfortable with the clamp type steel version. I'm not too particular about brand, but YHM comes to mind and always struck me as re-assuredly over built. They have a flip up sight version.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the YHM clamp on gas block with folder front sight and the only problem I had with it was alignment with the clamp on AR handle's rear peep sight adjusted too far to one side when zeroed at the range. So I used a laser bore sight and centered the rear peep sight at the middle of its windage adjustment range, then loosened the gas block clamp and slightly rotated gas block until the sights aligned with laser spot at 25 yards. Then did final sight in at the range. No pressure short stroke problems.