In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

C&R FFL Question

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
I just got my application paperwork for a C&R..is there supposed to be a fingerprint card in the package?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm a California resident (for 3 more years only, thank God) and have a C&R FFL with CA address. As some may know, CA restricts C&R FFL use via shipping- no handguns and some sellers won't ship to CA. I have a residence in Oregon. Is it possible to set up the C&R so that I can receive eligible firearms to my CA and OR addresses?

I spend most of my time in CA and the C&R FFL (with CA COE) comes in handy for avoiding some of the CA laws on "1 in 30" handgun restrictions, ammo through the mail, etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is a scanned/emailed copy of a C&R FFL as good/legal as a faxed copy for a sale of a firearm. Thanks
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have to first update your address on your C&R license to be able to ship firearms to your Oregon address. I do not believe that the BATF is going to allow both addresses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^
    The problem that raises is that I use my C&R FFL in CA to avoid some of the CA buying restrictions - no "1 in 30" days on handguns, cash & carry for C&R eligible guns, no ammo restrictions. I suppose the follow up question is if I change the address to Oregon will the license be useless in CA? A C&R license doesn't determine residency, so far as I know. But CA being what it is, and CA gun stores being cautious - might find myself being unable to use it (with the CA COE) for local buys.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question is does California honor out of state residents with a C&R? As an Illinois resident if I am in California will they let me buy c&R guns with it? If so what you want to do should work. If not it won't work.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I can't see any clear reason that you cannot have a C&R FFL in every state in which you can establish residency. Of course it is up to the ATF to determine whether or not a second of third residence is legit, but since a dealer can do business in multiple states with multiple Type 01 FFLs, collectors maintaining multiple residences seems viable. It is a long shot, but the way my luck runs I'd be up in my house in Oregon when the BATF decides to do a compliance check at my CA residence.
  • Options
    agostinoagostino Member Posts: 414 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told by ATF that I could have multiple 01 FFLs at multiple addresses. I would imagine it would be the same for C&Rs.