In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Out Of State Long Gun Purchase

gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Used to be a time when I could purchase a long gun in any state I might have been in by simply filling out the "yellow sheet". Then it changed to filling out the yellow sheet & an instant background check. In the past 6 months I have been refused a purchase for being a nonresident of the state I was attempting to purchase in. One dealer even told me if the states were ajoining I could make a purchase. Lots of dealers on this fourm, so what's the regs on this. Notice: This is referring to Long Guns Only

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I Live In New Mexico. I wish to purchase, in person, a rifle in Texas. Does the FFL Holder in Texas have to send the rifle to a FFL holder in New Mexico to make the transaction legal by federal standards?
    edited November -1
    I am a North Carolina resident and I am travelling to Nova Scotia on vacation and plan to stop at a couple of gunshops in Maine before entry to Canada.

I have a C & R permit and know that I can purchase C & R firearms and have them shipped to my home but where do I stand on the purchase of current non C & R long guns?

Can a purchased rifle after passing the NICS background check be sent to my home or does it have to go to a North Carolina 01 FFL holder.

Would it be easier for all if I just paid for the non C & R long gun and have it shipped to the 01 FFL holder that I use for transfers?

Taking any firearm purchase with me is out of the question as I will be entering Canada from Maine.

North Carolina allows a resident to purchase a long gun in a contiguous state and when I searched this topic there was an answer posted by nmyers that stated that an FFl could sell to an out of state purchaser that allows this.

Would appreciate any information on this topic.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon has nailed it. New Mexico has no waiting period beyond the FBI clearance. If your application is not instantly approved, you could have to wait up to three days (working days, weekends don't count) for the rifle to be released.
    edited November -1
    Thank You SaxonPig and He Dog. This is what I believe and just needed some verification. I just love this site.