In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gunsmith charging too much?

alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm having a gunsmith in Anchorage,AK replace my Savage 110 barrel with another 110 barrel, he said it'll cost $100.00! That seems kind of high or is that a 'normal' price?

Comments

• Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pricing depends on the area you are in, the skill of the smith, and several other things. From what I understand, nearly everything costs more in Alaska...than say Texas or Arkansas. And even in Texas and Arkansas you don't get much for $100 now days.

To answer your question more directly, I don't think $100 is too much. But if you do, shop around a little with smiths with comparable skills and reputations.

My humble opinion,
    Rafter-S
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If the chamber in the new barrel has already been cut and it is just a matter of removing the old barrel, installing the new, and checking headspace, it seems a bit steep; if chamber reaming is required or threads need cutting it seems a bit more reasonable.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    If the man is a Top Notch Professional at what he does...a Hundred Bucks is Reasonable...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pick up the latest Guns and Ammo. They have an article on Savage
    110 rebarreling. Will not comment upon prices.
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This doesn't seem out of line if it includes the barrel. Gunsmith labor is roughly $40 per hour where I am.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    According to Brownells' "Shop Price Survey" prices to install a threaded and chambered barrel range from $75 to $150. $100 sounds right in line. If he has to do any more, it is a great bargain!

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    If he is installing a factory Savage barrel, he is asking too much for turning off the barrel nut, putting on new barrel, headspacing and then putting the barrel nut back on. The Savage rifles make the easiest homemade switch barreled rifles there is.Is this Jim West doing the work? I always use Fowlers Gun and Machine shop up on Huffman for my firearms works, top notch gunsmith and very reasonable. Are you supplying the barrel?

AlleninAlaska

http://www.outdoor-o-rama.com

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine

Edited by - aglore on 10/31/2002 02:55:20
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My gunsmith charges a rate of $60/hr + parts. He's got a backlog two months long. I've looked at some of his average charges, seem to be around $50. But some of his custom pistol work is in excess of $300.

Opinions are like Ah@les, everyone has one.
  • GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunsmithing is like buying oats for horses. "If you are satisfied with oats that has been thru the horse, They come cheaper". "Good things are not cheap and cheap things are not good". Hope this helps in your search for a craftsman. GW.
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you're not being buried by offers to do it cheaper, figure your gunsmith has the price about right.