In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington 22

fivekjackfivekjack Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I own a Remington single shot 22 caliber rifle. It has, what I understand, a " rolling block mechanism". On top of the octagonal barrel is " REMINGTON ARMS CO. ILION, N.Y., U.S.A. The serial # on the underside is ; J208350 22. The overall length is 37".
It belonged to my grandfather who lived from 1864 until 1927.
Can anyone tell me the age of this rifle and the value. It is in good working condition. The rear sight is missing, which I would like to replace.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    a friend of mine has a twenty two rem. model 514 pat number 2490922 he is curios of the gun value if any thanks for the time and info. he also guess the condition to be between70 and 80 percent.

mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I HAVE A REMINGTON 22 BOLT ACTION SINGLE SHOT. IT IS A TARGETMASTER MODEL 510-P NUMBER ON GUN IS 1LSS L I GOT THIS GUN FROM A UNCLE THAT PASSED AWAY. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THESE WERE MADE? HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH? I REBLUED BARREL & RECEIVER AND REFINISHED STOCK. IT IS IN EXCELLANT CONDITION!!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems from your description, specifically the octagon barrel and overall length, that your rifle is a "No. 4 Rolling Block".
    They were made over a 40 year period from the 1890's to the 1930's. in a fairly large quanity, ( Flayderman estimates over 50,000 ). Since they were made in a number of different grades, finishes, variations & markings etc. A hands on appraisal from someone familiar with Remingtons would be your best course of action.