In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm disappointed that Flayderman's

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
isn't available on CD. I take the book to shows and auctions but it's a lot to carry around. Does anyone know of a similiar antique value guide that is on CD?

Thanks

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a bit confused here... you say that it is a burden to carry around a 3 lb. book at an auction or gunshow, so you want a CD version of it... hmmm last time I checked, it takes some type of computer to use that CD, and to make it useful at a gunshow or auction, you will need a laptop computer. Now, since I own both a copy of Flayderman's and a kickbutt laptop (Dell 250N SmartStep that weighs in at nearly 8 lbs.), which one would I rather pack around at an auction or gunshow[?]

Hmmm... let us discuss ease of use for each while attending the show...

Book - flip it open and start reading while standing at a table, or sitting in a chair at the auction. Close book when done reading.

Laptop - find a place to sit down and get it out of the carrying case, power it up on battery (make sure it was charged before you left the house) unless you can find a convenient power outlet nearby, wait for it to boot, install the CD, open the program needed to read the electronic version of the book, read what you are looking for, shut down the program and remove the CD, then shutdown the computer (so do don't kill what is left of your battery), restow it in its carry case, then get up and continue your stroll through the gunshow.

Me thinks that you have not thought this through very carefully[;)]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply Bert. Actually you don't need a laptop. I have a H-P hand held that has the entire 23 edition of Fjestad's Blue Book. It's a great way to have a wealth of info right in your hand. The antique items are not the main focus of this book though.

I'm not saying ditch your laptop, but there are other alternitives for special uses.

• Options
    scksck Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are mentally challenged to the extent that you can't retain enough information about the value of the firearms you collect from the reading you do on your own time to make an intelligent decision, there are serious problems. First, you probably shouldn't be collecting firearms because they are dangerous. And second, the fact that you require a book as a crutch to support your decisions would indicate that it would be more productive if you were doing other things with your money. You have provided a valuable service, however. I've made it a rule never to sell anything to anyone standing at my table with a book in their hands. Now I can expand that practice to anyone with a computer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sck,

Thanks for the reply although you really failed to answer my simple question. The Flayderman's 654 page reference book has about 534 pages of discriptions and values. We are not talking about Glocks and Colts here. These 534 pages have about 2670 entries of antique firearms that probably only you and 13 others in the U.S. know by memory. My hat is off to you sir.

While I appreciate your concern for my safety, many of these antiques are only a danger if you hit someone over the head with one. I find it comical that you call reference books a crutch. Mention that to your doctor or lawyer sometime. Although I feel the pain in your heart about my money, I prefer to spend it on what I wish. Mainly because it is mine!

You will find, my friend, if you eliminate from you customers base, people with books, computers,and etc, eventually all the customers will finally just leave you alone.

• Options
    PrebanpartsPrebanparts Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow..what a customer oriented seller you must be..Hey S CK..if you dont want to spend the money to buy a vowel I will give it to you free..its a U[8D]