In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700 action

hunter223hunter223 Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
Where can i find a Remington 700 action for use in a custom rifle project?Thanks

Comments

• cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont know where to just get an action , i bought a winchester mod70 at wally world cheap then used that action for my custom that way maybe you can sell the bbl and stock to somebody that might want it to help pay for it
  • buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brownells sells barreled actions although the price leaves something to be desired
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen used custom actions based on the 700/40x design go cheaper than the factory design.
    I'd put a want ad here on GB, you might be suprised what you find.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long or short? GW.
  • hunter223hunter223 Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • DemonDSDemonDS Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am just curious as to what makes the Remington 700 action so good?? For years many people have told me the strongest action is the Weatherby and then I have heard that about the Sako as well. I am not downing them, dont get me wrong, I am just asking why is it that it is the choice for alot of custom guns?
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The weatherby is strong,...but to "true" 9 locking lugs as opposed to 2 on the 700 action makes the expense greater,..as well as that fact that ANY gunsmith worth his salt can true the 700 action, not so for the weatherby. Also,..the time involved makes trueing the weatherby a proposition you think twice about paying for. One of our members here knows several gunsmiths who do weatherby actions,..but the waiting list is very long.

They are simple and strong. They provide good bedding surfaces on their underside (which could be better if they were flatter) and have the ability to have an oversized recoil lug fitted with almost no machining of the action. Their trigger desing was one of the best ever invented for a factory gun,...which led to the aftermarket world coming up with multiple competition grade triggers as well. As stated,..the twin recoil lugs are easily lapped to extreme tolerances and the fact that there are only 2 makes getting both lugs to seat properly much easier than getting 3, 6, or even 9 lugs to seat evenly. These features make it the most successful production action for benchrest competitions from 100-1000yds and beyond, not to mention it's adoption as THE action for the military sniping tools.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?