In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Using OXPHO

leoleo Member Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does it help to heat the item being blued before using Oxpho Cream? If so how hot should the metal be & what is used to heat it? Oven, boiling or some other way?

Comments

• RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This Brownell's product is actually supposed to be used cold. Of course, heat seems to speed up most checmical reactions. That might be the case with this stuff, also. I think you would have to experiment with it a little and see if heat enhances it or makes it work better, last longer, etc. I use it with 0000 (4 ought) steel wool and rub it into small parts and let it air dry after I rub it in. Then I wipe it off and put a thin oil coat on them from a rag that has been oiled and kept in a small can. It does a great job on small parts for me. I don't know what it would do to a gun as a "re-blue" or such. If I was to heat it, I wouldn't attempt to get it hotter than about 125 degrees as that is all you can comfortably touch with your hands. I would think an oven would be best because it would also tend to drive off any moisture which might steak the blue.

Life is Fragile! Handle with CARE!
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    WHEN USING ANY OF THE 'COLD' BLUES RINSE WITH WINDEX OR SOMETHING SIMILAR BEFORE OILING. ALL COLD BLUES HAVE A MILD ACID AND THE RINSE NEUTALIZES IT.