In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pointed (Spitzer) Bullets and Cross-Winds

trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
Let's assume that you have a target set up at, say, 100 yards; let's further assume that a constant breeze blows across the target from left to right. Let's assume that you have three types of bullet, all of the same mass (180 gr,): a jacketed lead round-nose (like Remington seems fond of making,) a FMJ spitzer, and a jacketed spitzer hollow-point.

Now, intuitively, the round-nose will suffer wind-deflection more than either spitzer, but generically speaking, how much of a cross-wind do you have to have to get a "significant" (here assume 1") deflection of a spitzer bullet? The reason I ask is that I read (somewhere) that spitzers are "practically immune" to cross-winds---as opposed to round-nosed bullets. Application: in my case, I buy cartridges as inexpensively as I can get 'em, which results in bags of jacketed round-nose, bags of FMJ spitzer-type, bags of spitzer jacketed soft-nose, etc. And I can't help but wonder how goofed up my shots will be if I scope the rifle with the FMJ spitzers, then switch to the JSPs for assassinating water-filled plastic milk-jugs on a day when there's a bit of a crosswind.

Comments

• MAD DAWGMAD DAWG Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While each different 'load' or 'batch' of ammo may require a different sight setting to be dead-on at 100 yards. As far as wind drift is concerned - you will see NO DETECTABLE difference between the bullet types, certainly not in any wind you would be out shooting in. In theory, and in fact, there are some very subtle differences, but nothing great enough to be detected at one hundred yards when shooting an ordinary sporting or military rifle. It takes significant wind to require adjustment at two hundred - from three hundred on out a spitzer design begins to have meaningfully less drop and drift. The same is true of boat-tails. You have to be shooting at about 300 yards or beyond before their contribution becomes meaningfully effective.
    Best..........!
    MAD DAWG