In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Heard of this one...Neumann?? Info & value?

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
[8D]I'm trying to get basic info on a customer's shotgun. He has a double barrel (S/S) Neumann Brothers shotgun, apparently made in Belgium. It has a double trigger, NO SERIAL NUMBER (late 1800's?) and is stamped Belgian steel barrel. Actually he DOESN'T have it...it was stolen in a burglary and he is looking for a possible value.

Your help is appreciated once again!

Jim
GunHawke

"They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull a trigger. I won't!" J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might get your best help on this from Capt. Kirk. I've never encountered that particular brand, but it sounds like one of the dozens of brands that were made in Belgium for export in the early 1900's. Most of them were reasonably well made, but sold cheaply and have relatively little value other than as a shooter; and one has to approach the "shooter" part of that statement cautiously as this was the era of simultaneous production of damascus and twist steel barrels. So,unless the good Captain pulls a rabbit out of his data base hat, I'm going to hazard a value guess of $85-150, depending on utility and condition. $85 as a wall-hanger, and $150 as a shooter in NRA Very Good condition. The truth probably lies somewhere inbetween.
  • Options
    00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neumann Brothers shotguns were made by Neumann Freres, a Liege, Belgium gun manufacturing firm, from about 1863 to 1924(???? Some sources say 1957, but I believe this is incorrect).

One source states that these shotguns were manufactured for blackpowder shells only, but I'm not sure about this.

Anyway, they are generally not of great collector value and have recently gone from about $200 to $400 on the internet auctions.

A shotgun in pristine condition with custom factory work would bring a significantly higher price, but they are usually already in the hands of collectors and locked up.

You can never have too many guns!!!
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    John and Paul Neumann were German Gun Makers that Moved to HERSTAL, Belguim from Bergheim, Germany.......... The move was for the Power Scorce...There, they had access to Water driven machinery in the late 1860's and were in Business up to the Early 1900's...on the River Muse...My database says The older Brother Paul died in 1897 and John and His Oldest Son continued the Business until John passed on, at which time His Son {un-named}Moved to South Africa where He set Up a Gun making Business...Other than That....Nothing more is known by this Author.....
    I have to assume that all the barrels on Neumann Shotguns were Damascus or Damascus Twist, Laminated Steel or Belguim Twist Steel..because of the Time Period...Value Wise...In Excellent Shooting Condition, With some light Engraving and Decent wood with Checkering...Maybe worth $250.00 to $400.00...Possibly Upwards of $500.00 with any substantiated Proof of History...and Condition........Best...Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>