Moving to California

Sheriff of MayberrySheriff of Mayberry Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
[8D] Hi guys {and Ladies} I will be moving to California and I was told that a couple of my guns don't or are not on some list for the state ??? I have a Taurus 940 and the I quess it's not on this list, So what I'm to do with this gun just toss it in the trash ??
I was told that if I bring it in to the state it is illegal to have and it's a felony. This sounds like bul*sh*t. Can someone please
help with the right info. I don't want to loose my guns.

Sheriff of Mayberry


  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,402
    edited November -1
    Check this website. If it doesn't have your answer click on contact us. They are VERY good at getting an answer to you questions.

    You will have to pay to register your firearms but I think you can bring in guns that are not on the list. Not sure so be sure to ask that question.

    Forgot to mention that you also have to be concerned about "assault rifles" & magazines over ten rounds you can forget, no way.
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Andy, I hope there is some big dollars involved to entice you to move to CA. I'm a CA native, I've had it here, too damn many liberals who think they know what's best for me. I'm looking to leave this hell hole of a state. There is a list of acceptable firearms. Look up the "Department of Justice" under the State of Ca. There will also be a phone nummber if you can't find exactly what you have. Regards Dave
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 22,348 ******
    edited November -1
    The approved list of handguns applies only to retail sales from dealers to individuals. As a new resident moving into our state you have just become what is known as a "personal handgun importer"...now don't you feel important? Your pistols may be brought into California but you will have to register them with the Department of Justice. There is a form to do this available from California firearms dealers, police and sheriff's offices, and I believe also the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. There are fees involved here so be prepared. Be certain that none of your pistols fall into ANY of the states assault type weapons catagories (MAC's, TEC-9's, SPECTRE's, ect.) as these pistols CANNOT be brought into this state since the dead line for registration has long since passed. Welcome to the Golden State.

    Mark T. Christian
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    There is a Para single stack, LE model not on the CA list which I covet. A local shop wants 50% more than a KY mail order house for a NIB copy. There is nothing dangerous about this model, it is just that Para didn't feel like spending the $3-4K or whatever it was, to get it tested and approved.

    I believe there is something about LEO's being exempt from the CDOJ list when purchasing.

    My point? If my brother was moving to CA from PA, I'd be sure he owned a copy of this Para I, and I'd talk him out of it. Some of your weapons may be worth more here than there. Here's the one I want: http://www.paraord.com/pages/law.html#745

    The form Mark mentioned?
    It is a Report of Handgun Ownership Form?(New Residents) available as a .pdf from
    It is currently $14 per handgun.

    This site will bring you up to speed regarding CA state law. County laws can be different: http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/ca.htm
  • AdironduckAdironduck Member Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't burden you by asking why you have chosen to move from the good old USA to Kalifornia; but you have my sympathy.
  • The artist formerly known as DanoThe artist formerly known as Dano Member Posts: 29,215
    edited November -1
    Moving to Kalifornia?

    Sorry to hear about that![:(]

    Registering your firearms is only the first of a series of downfalls.

    Best of luck to you.......[;)]

    The "ONLY" bad thing about owning "A GUN" is...not owning two or more!
  • Sheriff of MayberrySheriff of Mayberry Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for all the good information that you have sent my way.
    It was Miss"B"s idea, she wants to run around in a thong,[:0]{I don't
    know what that is ?} but she will like it I guess, So until next time
    Thank You you all,,,

    Sheriff of Mayberry
  • hughes1hughes1 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't move there, you'll hate it, take from an Ex-Californian.

    If you are a new California resident and you own a handgun, you must report it or dispose of it within 60 days.

    Effective January 1, 1998, any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

    Complete and submit a Report of Handgun Ownership form along with $14.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $14.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. Report of Handgun Ownership forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Firearms Division at (916) 227-3703, and from the online forms at this site.

    Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.


    Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,402
    edited November -1
    You don't say where you are from but it is very likely you will be in for a MAJOR shock when you see housing prices. I moved in my new house last july & one like it just sold for almost 50% more than I paid. (I bought the house 16 months before but it took them that long to build it (( They had major problems getting building inspectors out.)) so the price increase has to be figured over the longer time span.)
    I sold the last house I had without a realtor (my next door neighbor bought it for his daughter) & cleared about 50% profit in five years. This is in Riverside county & the prices are much worse in Los Angeles, Orange & San Diego counties.
Sign In or Register to comment.