In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

National Arms ?

ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I picked this up today at a gun show.It's a National Arms of New York U.S.A. this and the serial number is the only markings on the gun.It uses a .32 S&W cartridge.The bore is like new and gun is in great condition,looks better than the picture.Anyone have any info on it ?
Thank You
[^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^]

standard.jpg

ATF

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found two National Arms Companies. First was bought out by Colt in the late 1860's. Colt took over production of their deringer and sold it under Colt's name. Your revolver is of a latter design, don't believe it could date to the 1860's.
    Crescent Firearms used the name on one of their many shotguns. Never was aware that Crescent made revolvers, it's always a possibility though? The time frame would be right. Crescent went into business in the 1880's, your revolver appears to be contemporary to that time period.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow,Thanks for the info.I saw this gun and just had to have it.

[:)] [:p] [8D] [;)] [^]

ATF
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's what I'm thinking: Reference source: "The Official Guide to Gunmarks" by David Byron, 1st Ed., pg.76: "National Firearms Co.-Tradename used by Hopkins & Allen on rifles, c. 1900" pg. 55, same reference, "Hopkins & Allen-Established in Norwich, Connecticut in 1868, taken over by Marlin-Rockwell in 1917, and now owned by Numrich Arms Corporation and located in West Hurley, New York. Manufacturers of all types of sporting arms, but best known for their early revolvers." I'm pretty sure you have a nice example of a Hopkins & Allen revolver made under the National brand name. Merwin, Hulbert, & Co., a distributor of firearms in N.Y. State, at one time owned a big piece of H&A, and this may be one of the guns made by H&A for sale by Merwin, Hulbert (another connection to the N.Y. address). Very nice picture. If you would like I can send you a xerox copy of a comprehensive history of the H&A Co.'s revolver production, which includes some photos, and you can try to puzzle out for yourself which model yours might be. I'll need your U.S.P.O. address, which you can send by private e-mail.
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    atf,
    your revolver was manufactured by meriden firearms co. meriden was one of the major suppliers of brand name top break revolvers after 1900 and i know they were still producing them after world war 1.

this same revolver was sold as howard arms, new york arms, national firearms, secret service special and many many more.

look at the front sight in the picture this is a give away as to the manufacturer, even though hard to see it has upward curves at the front and back.

the meriden firearms top break revolvers are not known for their quality. of all the manufacturers of top break revolvers theirs are he lowest quality. they kept cost low by using soft metal. no matter how good of condition they are in i would be reluctant to fire them even though they were manufactured into the smokeless powder era.
    b.goforth
    edited November -1
    b.goforth,I thank you for your information. I have no intention of firing this gun.I bought it because of the condition for my collection.Could I ask you where you got the information?
    Thanks again

[^] [^] [:)] [:)]

ATF
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    atf,
    i first read about meriden firearms co. in hoggs and weeks book 'pistols of the world'. as i was gathering information for my book on "iver johnson's arms & cycle works" i encountered and aquired many meriden products with different brand names. so it boils down to reading about them and then confirming by first hand experence.

i would like to add that meriden products were not dangerous when new, they just don't stand up to narmal wear and tear very well.
    and if you did fire your meriden revolver it probably would not blow up. what will happens is the frame will stretch and everthing would get loose and you wouldn't have a nice tight collectible anymore.
    b.goforth
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the Information.I do not intend to fire it because it's in great condition.
    Thanks again and Good Luck on your book.
    [^]

ATF<P><br>