In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rangefinder What's the BEST?

drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
Looking for a rangefinder. Small, light, compact. I've seen the Bushnell Pro Scout . . . I'd rather buy a Leica. The Scout seems to do all that I need it to do . . . I's rated at 700 yards, but I know that really translates into accurate readings on deer out to 350 yards. Seems like it would be great for bow, and slug gun hunting; but then there are those pesky prairie dogs to shoot. Do I really need the Leica? I don't mind spending the $100+ difference, but then I give up the compact size. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    hsolberghsolberg Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUST PURCHASED A LEICA 900, HAVE NOT USED IT A LOT BUT SO FAR I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH ITS CAPABILITIES. AS TO THE SIZE IT IS SMALLER THEN THE BUSHNELL AND FITS IN A SIDE POCKET. I SPENT ABOUT 7 MONTHS SHOPPING FOR ONE TO USE MOSTLY FOR COYOTE HUNTING IN OPEN COUNTRY.

LOOKED AT MANY DESIGNS AND MODELS AND THE LEICA FINALLY CAME OUT ON TOP
  • Options
    ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i used to have the bushnell sport model. i kept geyying error codes. i purchased a leica lrf 900 and it is a pleasure to use. you can scan moving targets with continious readout. the l.e.d display automaically adjusts the light intensity for dawn to dusk usage. its like everything else, you get what you pay for[;)]
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leica is the way to go. The clarity is great and it is dependable. I showed mine to a few of my friends and they went and bought them after seeing mine. I use mine as a quick monocular from my living room, year round.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    Bushnell BoyBushnell Boy Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to look at the Bushnell yardage pro legend. It is a little stronger than the scout. The scout will only range a deer at around yards. The the 700 yards is a reflective reading and won't be useful in the field. The YP legend is water proof and can range a deer out to 450 yards. If you want to shoot prairie dogs I would get the yardage pro 1000. I know that this one will range dogs out to about 300 yards. I don't know much about the leica but I can answser just about any question on the BUshnells. Let me know If I can help.

http://www.bushnell.com/productinfo/rangefinders/hunting.html

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

-Beck (1993)
  • Options
    Bushnell BoyBushnell Boy Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry the scout will range a deer at 300 yards

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

-Beck (1993)