In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

springfield model 15

revbearrevbear Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a J. Stevens Arms .22 bolt action single shot rifle. Can someone tell me where the serial number is for I can not find one.
Second question is how much is it worth. The only problem is some minor checking on the butt of stock. Would it be cost effective to repair that and would getting the stock replaced detract from its value.

The only fences we need to worry about are those we put in our minds

Comments

• revbearrevbear Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My husband and I recently aquired a Springfield Model 15, it has no patent number on it. The history on the gun is, the man we got it from said it was his grandmas and she used to sit out in the yard and shoot deer with it. We were just wondering if you could help us out on a date and a value on the gun. The stock was broken and taped back together. If anyone can help us out we would appreciate it. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I just got a springfield model 15, and i would like to know the value of the gun and if mounting a scope on it would be a good idea.
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    You have a .22 Rifle that was made in the 40's....I had one myself, and Bagged plenty of Bunnies for the Table With it...even got a Turkey with it once...I believe Dad told Me once that he paid the Unheard of Sum of almost $7.00 for it...Thats how Much He Thought of His Son...Value Wise..It only worth $50.00 as discribed...as for Checks in the Stock..Fill them in with Saw Dust and Epoxy...Sand it down and Put a couple coats of Linseed Oil on it and go Shoot it another 50 Years...And as for My old Model 15....I passed it along to the Care of My Oldest Daughter, Who will at the Proper time and Place, Present it to My Grandson, 'Derek'...when He reaches the Proper Age and shows the Proper Respect which go's with the owning of a Firearm...He's only 14 Months Old at this writing....Best....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Revbear....you won't find a serial number, because it has none. Inexpensive guns back then seldom had them.

Do as the Captain says and it'll last forever!

Capt....looks like both you & I are fans of that old Model 15. It was my first rifle...got it for Christmas in 1948 when I was 13 years old.

It sure was deadly on those Campbell Tomato Soup cans. [:D]
    edited November -1
    Dear fellas
    Thanks ever so much on the info and sentiment. It is greatly appreciated. This too was my father's and like you bagged a bunch of bunnies and beer cans.
    Speaking of unheard prices, my father told me that he bought a new, 1934 Excel 16 ga. shotgun(still have it), for the tobacco base he raised. It cost all of $9.00. My father was 12 years old.
    Thanks again
    Revbear

The only fences we need to worry about are those we put in our minds
  • moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Single shoot, pull back on the bolt to cock, open sighted, sweet little rifle! Shoot many bushytails with one, but like the other readers say, there is no serial number on them. Don't replace the stock, just get it fixed, there isn't any pounding to the stock from recoil. If nothing else, keep it the way it is for sentimential reasons.

Moose