In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WINCHESTER MODEL 12 FEATHERWEIGHT

QUAIL HUNTER O1QUAIL HUNTER O1 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am interesting in finding out more about this shotgun, made from 1959 to 1961. I think it would make a good pheasant gun. I think the only non-steel parts are the allow trigger guard but not sure. Is there anyone who can help me on this one.

Is it a reliable gun? I know that the Model 12 guys do not really consider this a true model 12 so looking for imput.

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• QUAIL HUNTER O1QUAIL HUNTER O1 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    looking for a value on a winchester model 12 featherweight in 12 gauge. it is about 75% on wood and bluing , has a couple hair line cracks on fore end. also what should you keep an eye out for on these guns , as far as what hurts the value.i have the serial number and the last 3 numbers on receiver match the only three numbers on barrell , does this make it a match?
    edited November -1
    WILL A WINCHESTER MODEL 12 STOCK WORK ON A WINCHESTER MODEL 12 FEATHERWEIGHT. THANKS.
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum Quail Hunter!! The Md 12 Featherweight, was constructed from "Heat treated chrome molybdenum Winchester Proof Steel" That's right off the original advertisement. Yes it's reliable, but very hard to find parts and barrels for. It came with a 30 in. Full, 28 in. Full or Modified, or a 26 in Imp/Cyl, plain barrel. It's approximate weight was 6 Lbs 10 oz, with a 28 in. barrel where the standard Md 12 with a 28 in. barrel was 7 lbs 5 oz..

You are correct the trigger guard assy. was an alluminum alloy. The forearm was one of the weakest points because it had a screw through it holding it onto the action slide. It had a tendancy to crack here.

Price wise, you start seeing very good ones 90% condition or better starting in the low $300s and up. The Imp/cly barreled gun will be the most expensive. Hope This helps you. Regards Dave
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by only winchesters
    Welcome to the forum Quail Hunter!! The Md 12 Featherweight, was constructed from "Heat treated chrome molybdenum Winchester Proof Steel" That's right off the original advertisement. Yes it's reliable, but very hard to find parts and barrels for. It came with a 30 in. Full, 28 in. Full or Modified, or a 26 in Imp/Cyl, plain barrel. It's approximate weight was 6 Lbs 10 oz, with a 28 in. barrel where the standard Md 12 with a 28 in. barrel was 7 lbs 5 oz..

You are correct the trigger guard assy. was an alluminum alloy. The forearm was one of the weakest points because it had a screw through it holding it onto the action slide. It had a tendancy to crack here.

Price wise, you start seeing very good ones 90% condition or better starting in the low $300s and up. The Imp/cly barreled gun will be the most expensive. Hope This helps you. Regards Dave
    edited November -1
    Only Winchester: Thanks for the information on the Featherweight. If it is reliable, and I think it is, I plan on finding one to buy. The weight factor makes it a good canidate for upland hunting.

What should you expect to pay for an I/C gun in 95% condition?
    Also, what can you expect from Winchester on the choking? Some books I have say for I/C, expect .004 to .006 and for modified, expect .010 to .015 in choke constriction.

This is a great site to find out information and thanks for your reply.
    Paul
  • rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    I have two of them both 28" one full one improved. They are great guns and unbelievably reliable.

Respect those who protect us now just as you would those who died for us in the past.
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    QH: Finding an I/C Featherweight will be tough. I've only seen one, up for auction in the last 2 years. 95% expect, to pay around $500, + or - $100. Kind of depends if its just for sale or an auction. As far as the choke goes, being a later production gun, it will be in tolerance. Meaning if I recall correctly, Full choke is .690-.699, Modified is .700-.709, and Imp/cyl is .710-.720. Remember when this gun was made, paper shells with the fiber wad where in use. (Plactic hull, with cup wads came started to hit the market around 1964). I would expect it to pattern at least 70% at 30 yards with todays shells. Winchester use to guaranttee there guns would pattern at least 70% with a Full choke, 65% with a mod. and 60% with an Imp/cyl at 30 yards. If you send your email address to me, I'll notify you if I see one. Just klick on the onlywinchesters to the left. Regards Dave

Up-date: there is a Featherweight with Modified choke here at GB opening bid of $375. Under Winchester Shotguns, item # 2362105.

Also on another site there was a Modified graded at 94% for $395, and an Imp/Cyl graded at 95% for $495 both from dealers, and I don't know if they are still available. Email me for the site. Dave