In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 4506 help

Lumpy3Lumpy3 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
Got one from a longtime Bud for cleaning, shooting, cleaning and return to him.

Thought he was bringing the latest 1911 clone (OH, JOY!)with which I'm almost intimate, - but no, it's a 4506. Beautiful piece..highly polished, and I can't wait to shoot it...

PROBLEM: no manual. I want to throughly clean her up, polish the innards, etc...

Can anyone please "talk" me thru it, send me detailed fieldstrip/reassembly info, or refer me to diagrams and instructions online?

Thanks in advance!

[:D]

"Without the 2nd Amendment, we'd have lost the 1st."

Lump

slabsidesfan

Comments

• Options
    JERRYGSKIJERRYGSKI Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://swcustomersupport.vista.com/contentbuilder/layout.php3?contentPath=content/00/01/31/06/03/userdirectory53.content

IS THE LINK FOR THE OWNERS MANUALS FROM SMITH, HOPE IT HELPS!

Q: Why did you shoot him 16 times?
    A: I didn't see the need to reload!
    Hard Fun!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanky, J-Ski...
    I'll go there now.

Lump

Police: "Ma'am, why did you stab your husband 547 times?"
    Widow: "Officer, I couldn't turn off the electric knife.." [;)]

slabsidesfan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jerry- I see nothing for the 45XX series...

this is a relatively low SN, I think: TDL6XXX

know the proper series for the S&W info?

any Idea how old it may be? It's REALLY "cherry"..

I know S&W wheelguns MUCH better than autos...

Thanks again!

Lump

slabsidesfan
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lumpy3
    Jerry- I see nothing for the 45XX series...

this is a relatively low SN, I think: TDL6XXX

know the proper series for the S&W info?

any Idea how old it may be? It's REALLY "cherry"..

I know S&W wheelguns MUCH better than autos...

Thanks again!

Lump

slabsidesfan

Are you sure about the second letter, i.e. "D" in the prefix? The S & W Book lists the prefix as being "TBL" for pistols made in 1987. But it also notes that the 4506's were made between 1988 & 1999? Maybe your pistol is a transition model of some kind?

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, r-s but it is:

TDL6XXX
    Mod 4506

is it safe to assume it field-strips like a similarly-sprung 1911 (with full length guide rod, no barrel bushing, and no provision for use of a takedown tool) ??

slabsidesfan
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Pull the slide back until the slide stop notch lines up with the slide stop pin, pull out the pin. Pull off the slide forward. When you reassemble, you will need to depress three little levers at the rear of the frame to get it to slide the slide on the whole way. To remove the grips, drive out the sinlgle pin at the butt of the gun. Everything pretty much falls apart then.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    owe-Kay... that worked....and both eyes still do, and no parts explosion :)

The original grips are replace by Hogue wraparounds, secured at the heel by a screw on each side...after removing them,
    -do I (of good mechanical aptitude) need four more hands to further disassemble/reassemble?

Thanks... :)

Lump

slabsidesfan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    glitchtime, maybe, richbug-

I presume (I KNOW better than that, most of the time) that as the mag is out, and I retract the slide to remove the slide stop, the hammer will go back, and should not fall, as it is "cocked"...

Problem: those three little "kickups".... replacing the reassembled slide, and lowering the ejector first (the longest, and on the left, as viewed from above, right??), the slide as first did not want to go on, as the ejector, even lowered as much as I could lower it, still impeded the rearward progress of the slide, that is, until I inserted an empty magazine and then gently lowered the hammer... THEN, the ejector lowered all the way, second (RIGHT-most) lowered and allowed the slide to pass, but the one on the right closest to the hammer did not...I've stopped there.

hints?
    THANK YOU!

slabsidesfan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    richbug-please disregard my last transmission....
    I guess I just wasn't holdin' my mouth right....

on the third attempt, after a coupla smokes to calm my nerves, it went together just as if I'd known exactly what I was doing...

Thanks for the assist....

Lump

...from "Thoughts from the Gunner's Guru", Mr. Jeff Cooper,
    from Guns and Ammo, November 2004:

"The 1911 pistol continues to hold up better in the sandbox than any other sidearm in use. Of course, it must be kept clean, which is not always easy. The old 1911 continues along its way to replacing the dog as man's best friend."
    AMEN and AMEN. and thanks, Colonel Cooper, and SEMPER FI !

slabsidesfan