In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Age of Marlin 39A

IowaIowa Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am having a very hard time with age of this Marlin 39 A - lever action .22- My problem is the serial number, the starting letter is not factory struck clearly. (P or B not sure) then 14774. Thanks in advance [:D] Iowa

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to this site. The letter prefix has to be a "P", and your rifle dates to 1957.

http://armscollectors.com/sn/marlinlookup.php

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    IowaIowa Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anyone verify this info.
    The rifle you have is definiatly not made in 1957. It's a mid to late forties gun. In 57 Marlin gold plated the triggers and it would be drilled and tapped for a scope and it would've had factory sling swivles. Marlin placed a white spacer in between the stock from 1951 on and I didn't notice a white spacer between the butt plate and butt stock so unless the gun has been refinished and the white spacer removed the gun is earlier than 1951.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iowa: Could your "B or P" be an F ? Those were made in 1949. My 39A has an "H" and looks to almost have been double stamped.
    Regards Dave
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Iowa
    Can anyone verify this info.
    The rifle you have is definiatly not made in 1957. It's a mid to late forties gun. In 57 Marlin gold plated the triggers and it would be drilled and tapped for a scope and it would've had factory sling swivles. Marlin placed a white spacer in between the stock from 1951 on and I didn't notice a white spacer between the butt plate and butt stock so unless the gun has been refinished and the white spacer removed the gun is earlier than 1951.

Post to the MCA site, they MIGHT be able to shed some light on the serial number conflict.

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/index.php

luger_4.jpg