In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

black powder revolver

deer_sniperdeer_sniper Member Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
i have a freind that has this black powder revolver on his wall and all it says on it is E.WHITNEY N Haven and i did research on eli whitney and found out that he did make guns for the goverment and that the plant was near new haven connecticut but i can not find out any more than that if anyone knows anything please tell me.

Comments

• deer_sniperdeer_sniper Member Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey there,
    I just got a 44 cal. black powder revolver and i need some help.I cant find anywhere on anything that came with it wether it takes no.10 or no.11 primers....whats the diff.???Also it came with a capper but(i tried the no.11)they will not fit out the end of the capper....are they to big or is the capper deformed....im cheap i didnt want to waste $5 on no.10 primers if there not gonna work either.

All help is appreciated,thx
    Brian

"Meine Ehre heisst Treue"
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHAT MAKE.?? WHO MADE YOUR GUN??

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
    edited November -1
    Its a F.LLI Pietta...its from cabelas

Brian

• RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either #10 or #11 caps should work. #10's are a little smaller than #11's. The #11's provide a little better ignition with some powders. The #11's may be a little loose on the nipple, so if they are, hold the cap between your index finger and your thumb nail and bend the opened end of the caps slightly to make them fit the nipple tight so they don't come off while you shoot. The capper may be sized for #10's, and that could be why the #11's won't fit it.

Is your gun an 1858 Remington with the top strap, or an 1860 Colt style open top?
    edited November -1
    Its a 1860 army

Brian

• coffinhandlercoffinhandler Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same gun. I purchased it from Cabelas years ago. I misplaced the manual. I contacted Cabelas, and they sent me one for free. If they wont send you one, e-mail me, and I will look up any information contained in the manual for you.

coffinhandler@yahoo.com
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I use 11's on mine with no problem. I agree that either your capper is bent, or is a #10 capper.

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgdd.art
    Charlie