In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Single shot .22 pistol question.

beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know if there are there any decent, *inexpensive* single shot .22 pistols out there?

I don't mean a derringer, but rather something with decent sights, and hopefully at least a 5 inch barrel and some accuracy, like a one-shot gallery or target pistol. Something like a non-revolving top-break revolver.

I mean, we have stuff like this, but considering the low-complexity, you'd think you'd be able to find something like it at less than 1/10 that price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=23543263

Alternatively, would it be legal to cut down a (hopefully lefty!) .22 bolt rifle to pistol size, if both the stock AND barrel were reduced in length?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only decent Single Shot Pistol that I'm aware of nowadays is the Contender, it sure aint inexpensive though.

It's against the law to cut down a rifle and convert it into a pistol. Tom Ridge himself would be kicking your door down and hauling you off to Gitmo if he got wind of it.

luger_4.jpg
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't mind something with some gray hair on it, look for a Stevens #10 pistol. My rough looking example cost me less than $100. Nicer ones may run double that. It has an 8" barrel, and the fully adj. sights are really good.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your example is a rare, factory lettered, S&W target pistol with a special order (uncataloged) barrel length ... don't think many people want to take one of these plinking nowdays.

As for your specification of top break that only leaves a couple possibilities and neither is inexpensive.

As mentioned above you have your Contenders and then you have some custom stuff done by E.A. Brown: http://www.eabco.com/tcref.html

Over the years there have been companies that made single shots, but they have all faded. Although you can still find one now and then at gun shows.

In most any case your going to pay more than what a Ruger Single Six or Taurus will cost you, then there is the Savage Striker. Yes all of these are multi-shot, but they are also accurate and good value guns.

2470103-S.gif

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are still a few of the Rexio single shot .22LR pistols available. The company currently makes the same gun in .45LC/.410. The new importer doesn't have the .22LR model anymore, but I still have a few of them in stock. They are a single shot 10 inch barrel. Black grips and blued finish. They are available with the adjustable rear sight and front blade sight. They are also drilled and tapped for a scope mount, (also on hand). The pistol itself runs under $145. The scope mount and rings combo adds another $40.

LRARMSX
  • CrousetrodomisCrousetrodomis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    REXIO SUCKS!!!! (from my experience) I did however buy one off of gunbroker.com (before I knew they sucked), just as a plinker for my wife. It was NIB, came with a shotgun bead sight instead of regular sites. Pistol was good and heavy, appeared to be packed in a really heavy grease, but we noticed a small chip on the firing pin. After complete and detailed cleaning we went to shoot it for the first time and found that it, the firing pin, would not make contact with the .22 cartriage. Long story short, NO ONE has replacement firing pins for this gun. Even their distributor wasnt able to send a replacement. NOT TO MENTION, the company who sold me the gun went under and offered NO HELP. So basically I've got a hunk of steal, (cheap steal at that) in my gun safe. I've never even got one shot off of it. (I might have someone machine a pin for me, just so maybe it'll work.) Just my .02$

If you get one, becareful of any flaws. It could be a great gun..... If anyone has a firing pin and is willing to give it up, please contact me.

"Huh, I never made the connection....Mr. Obvious, you're a life saver."
    edited November -1
    lrarmsx, Do you know anyone that could be of help??

• ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look into the Drulov target pistols.I think Marstar in Canada has them.Drulov makes a nice product for the money ie inexpensive.

I'm not a hippy!I'm a well groomed mountain man
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're pursuing undomesticated waterfowl.

But, there are alternatives that you should consider. Look at a used S&W M422/622; it has everything you need, plus it takes a magazine. You should be able to get one for ~ $200.

Neal
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Yo Crouse! Have you tried a cheap Chinese pin punch? Just stuff it in the hole an' snap it off! When that don't work(like on mine!), I took a Dremel anna file to a piece of scrap metal. Took 2 days of piddlin' with it to make it work, but what's one weekend?

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Yo Crouse! Have you tried a cheap Chinese pin punch? Just stuff it in the hole an' snap it off! When that don't work(like on mine!), I took a Dremel anna file to a piece of scrap metal. Took 2 days of piddlin' with it to make it work, but what's one weekend?

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Alternatively, would it be legal to cut down a (hopefully lefty!) .22 bolt rifle to pistol size, if both the stock AND barrel were reduced in length?

I'm pretty sure that Big Brother would take a dim view of this because your cut down action could be transferred back into a complete stock.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

Lafayette.gif

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
    edited November -1
    gunnut505, e-mail me, crousetrodomis@yahoo.com. I'll call you if you can explain it over the phone. THANKS, I'll try ALMOST anything to get this gun to work.

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Contender Man
    Your example is a rare, factory lettered, S&W target pistol with a special order (uncataloged) barrel length ... don't think many people want to take one of these plinking nowdays.

As for your specification of top break that only leaves a couple possibilities and neither is inexpensive.

In most any case your going to pay more than what a Ruger Single Six or Taurus will cost you, then there is the Savage Striker. Yes all of these are multi-shot, but they are also accurate and good value guns.

Oh, I don't really care if its a top-break or not. I just figured that design would be the easiest to manufacture and therefore cheapest. It could be a bolt, lever, or any other loading mechanism for all I care.

So here's the Steven's #10: I see these were made in MA circa 1920, which means there might actually be a chance I could find a legal one here. (Though for the going rate of $200, it probably doesn't pay).

ste9959.jpg

Ditto for this interesting piece:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=23492607

There should be no reason why someone can't come up with a pretty high quality gun like this pretty inexpensively, but I guess what I'm hearing is that nobody makes these kinds of things anymore, presumeably because nobody really wants them.

I also don't think there should be any reason why anyone would care if I took a crappy single shot rifle, and turned it into a whacky single-shot .22 pistol with no resale value, but I'm certainly not willing to break any laws just to do this.
  • mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the Anschutz. Comes in .22 or .22 mag with 5 or 4 round clip. Decent price too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=23443444