In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Model 70

benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
The latest NRA magazine has a good article on the new Winchester model 70. My question is, is it really as good as they claim? I might consider buying one if I can get some good reports.

Thank you for your input.

Comments

• calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well i liked the pre and post '64 personally and i'm sure i would like the new models which are supposed to offer the best of both especially for the super short rounds.
  • RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a M70 Featherweight (controlled round feed) .300 WSM that's about two years old, and a M70 Coyote (controlled round push feed) .243 WSSM, that I got this year. They're both really nice rifles, and I like them. About the worst thing I can say about them is they both came from the factory with about 6 lbs trigger pulls, but this can be adjusted down to a nice crisp 3 lbs. A buddy of mine recently got a stainless/synthetic custom M70 in .300 Rem Ultra Mag, and it's pretty nice too.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have M70s that range in age from a converted M54 made in 1930 to a Safari 458 made about five years ago. I consider the old ones better, primarily because the actions were forged, rather than machined from stock, as the new ones are made. However, this really has little effect on their actual use. A 338 SuperGrade from the first batch of reintroduction non-rotating extractor actions, made about 15 years ago, must have had the barrel cut very square, because on several occasions the belt on the cartridge case would stop the chambering. Later that rifle was rebarreled to 375 Rem Ultra, so there is no problem with it. Other than that, the new stocks, while made from very good Walnut, are somewhat boxey when compared to the older sleeker M70s. So my advice is: if you're into traditional methods of manufacture and want a piece of history and can find one for sale in the style and cartridge that you want- get the pre-64; otherwise, go with the new M70s. They really are a good rifle.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Try to find some one that has one in the Caliber that you want and shoot it. All Winchesters KICK the **** out of me and several of my friends have the same problem with them (stock design) And Winchester has known about this for YEARS and does nothing about it. I have a model 70 in 300 win Mag dont know the year of it. The only reason I keep is is because it will put the first 2 shots in the same hole at 100 yards, but I pay the price in RECOIL.[:0]
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the replies.

Chuck, my caliber of choice is 30-06 with a 150 gr. bullet. I think I could take the recoil OK if the accuracy is there. My second choice is in 270 caliber with 130 or 150 gr. bullet. What is your opinion on recoil with those rounds?
    edited November -1
    Ben,

I really don't agree with Chuck's opinion of Winchester's stock design. In fact, Winchester's "classic" stock design is one of the things I like about the Model 70. The straight comb design actually minimizes the felt recoil. IMO. I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil, but I really like shooting my .300 WSM. I also like shooting my buddy's .300 RUM which kicks even harder than mine.

I ran some recoil figures for you for the rounds you're interested in. I used an 8 1/2 lbs rifle weight (basically my Featherweight plus scope's weight). I also threw in some other guns for comparison.

Win M70: .30-06 150gr Swift Scirocco- 2700fps - recoil 14.01 ft.lbs
    Win M70: .270 130gr Swift Scirocco- 3060fps - recoil 14.23 ft.lbs
    Win M70: .270 150gr Nosler Part. - 2850fps - recoil 15.63 ft.lbs
    Win M70: .300WSM 180gr Bal Sil Tip - 3010fps - recoil 24.06 ft.lbs
    Win M70: .300RUM 180gr Swift Scirroc- 3250fps - recoil 34.06 ft.lbs

Marlin 1895G .45/70 300gr JHp - 1810fps - recoil 21.87 ft.lbs
    Kimber 84M Var. .22-250 PABT - 3725fps - recoil 4.37 ft.lbs
    Colt Mat. Tar. HBAR .223 55gr FMJ - 3240fps - recoil 2.73 ft.lbs

I think the M70 in either .270 or .30-06 would be a good choice for you. I know the recoil wouldn't be a problem for me. Hope this info helps you.
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks again for the replies. You have been a great help.
  • davekrdavekr Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you calculate the recoil for .30-06 using Remington Managed Recoil Ammo. I bought a box but haven't shot it yet.
    edited November -1
    DaveKR,

You've got mail.