In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M70 SA FWT

D. BryanD. Bryan Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a M70 SA Featherweight .308 S/N G 170,XXX. This has the Classic extractor (CRF) and a fancy fiddleback gloss finish stock.
According to the factory, it was shipped to the distributor in 1984.
Since the Classic was not introduced until 1990 and the stock is the same as those shown in the Winchester catalog as the North American Big Game Series, I presume this is a pre-production rifle that was sent to a very large distributor. I was told by the factory which distributor it went to. The headspace is so tight it is hard to close on a factory round and it marks the shoulder. Action is bright blue. This is the most attractive M70 I have seen. I have checked with the Winchester Custom Shop and it is not on their records. The factory has no information other the shipping date and the shipping location.
Does anyone here have an idea of the current value in 100% condition?

Guys; I really need help on this, I can't even find out just what it is.
Active old guy who lives with two dobermans.

Comments

• D. BryanD. Bryan Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it hard to believe that with the expertise I have observed on this forum, no one has an observation about this. Surely this is not the only rifle produced in this configuration.

What I have learned; After consulting with several professional traders, I was told it was a Custom Classic. However, I have seen the Custom Classic and it uses the same wood as the Super Grade. The Custom Shop Catalogue shows several examples, all using receivers in the G 100,000 series. All of these use the CRF extractor and the same wood as the Super Grade. In 50+ years of experience with firearms, this is the only Winchester I have seen with a Factory Gloss Finish Stock. I have seen many Custom Shop and Presentation Models and all have used an Oil Finish. As per my first post, the only model that I have seen referring to a gloss finish is the American Big Game Series, which uses a stock identical to this rifle.
    This rifle is marked Classic Featherweight on the RIGHT side of the barrel.
  • snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have have the answers you are looking for but have been watching this post very closely. I have two rifles in 257 Roberts and one in 270 in the same configureation as you mentioned. It sounds like yours might be in better condition than two of mine but one of the 257's is close. I was told it was going to be another offering in the XTR line but as in the Pre 64's it was not cost effective. I will be anxious to see if anyone has input on this. They are very, very nice rifles especially for the era.

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye
    edited November -1
    In the BlueBook, there is reference to a Custom Classic, produced in limited quantities in short action in the 1980s. They state that the only way they can be identified is by better than average wood.
    Does anyone have more information about these rifles.

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure where your rifle fits into the production scheme, but I bought a "Super Grade" in the batch that Winchester made when they first introduced the non-rotating extractor model at other than custom production. As I recall they made a few actions that were used for the Big Five Safari International rifles, that were really decked out with engraving on features from several custom shops, David Miller being the name that comes to mind. The next step was to make a release of production rifles and according to an article, as I recall in Shooting Times by Craig Buffington, there were three grades of the "Super Grade", which is what it was called. The grades amounted to fanciness of wood and some metalwork. The suggested price for the cheapest was $995, then I think it went $1500 & $2000. These went over well, so they made standard rifles and called the non-rotating extractor models "Classic". In this bunch was the Classic Featherweight. I bought one of the $995 type Super Grades in 338 about 15 years ago, serial #G19xxx; Then I got my son one of the Class Featherweights about 10 or 11 years ago in 30-06, serial #G23xxx. So where these fit relative to yours I don't know, but hope it helps in sorting out the history of yours.
    edited November -1
    If you have looked at the BlueBook, I guess you know your rifles have become somewhat valuable.

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Whoever gets the proceeds of my estate when I die will likely appreciate my good taste in firearms.
    edited November -1
    Ray B;
    I think the mere fact that no one on this forum appears to have knowledge of these rifles is a good indication of their rarity.

Since Winchester serial numbers their receivers in their order of production, not assembly, all of these receivers were produced pre 1970. This would indicate they were made on a special production line and stored for later use. Apparently the Custom Shop rifles are made from this stock.

Due to the time that has passed, most if not all of the people involved will have retired. Since most of the Winchester collectors are only interested in the pre-64, they have ignored this small number of rifles that are identical, in most ways, to the pre-64. I would guess these actions were produced on the original assembly line.