In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions on Sauer Rifles

gunluv280gunluv280 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Anybody here have experience with Sauer rifles. I saw used .243 Sauer 200 at a gun shop recently. Awsome blueing, beautiful wood with fine checkering. The action is smoother than anything I've ever seen, like the bolt is riding on air. It also has a palm swell stock that makes it fit like a well-worn glove. I think I'm in love. Only issue is it's a bit pricey at $950, though for a Sauer, that is probably not out of line especially considering it has a Leupold VX-II scope (older model but in good shape). I was wondering if anybody here has owned a Sauer 200 and can tell me how they shoot and if they hold up well in the field. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the rifle was in really good shape $950.00 may not be out of line for that rifle. Blue book wise.
    The people that I know who have them swear up and down by them. What a lot of people have an issue with is taking a really nice gun out into the field and beat it up. They are definately quality through and through.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunluv280,

This model was originally released in 1984 as a field expedient switch barrel rifle. It exemplifies the traditional German/European fit and finish as well as the desire to have non-traditional mechanics. I happen to like the quality and mechanics of most Sauer rifles. The ones that I've had the pleasure of using performed as needed and expected in the field. Were they tackdrivers? No. But the accuracy was excellent for a wood and blue steel rifle that was set up for hunting and not target shooting.

There are a couple of things to look into first.

What model is this particular rifle. There are several and the price can be higher or lower depending on which model. For the base model, this is a bit high to me. But when compared to the LUX model it's about 1/2 again low. There have been some Lux models listed as LNIB without a scope, go as high as $1400.00 on other sites.

The VX-II scopes don't gain many points with me as they are a gimme in my opinion. They aren't worth much in trades or re-sale. The stores like to use them as leverage because they can get them inexpensively and they say that the rifle already has a Leupold scope. This doesn't make them bad scopes by any means. They will function nicely, it's just that they aren't the top of the line Leupold. But, at least it's not a Trashco or worse, a Simmons!

You could consider this; you will be in a small minority of gunowners because of the Sauer, there aren't that many in the U.S. as compared to the other major manufacturers so you will own something just a bit different which I consider to be a plus. Also, the quality of the Sauer is decidely better than the average rifle that most of your fellow hunters shoot. The Sauer lends itself to being passed down to the generations as an heirloom as opposed to just another utilitarian hunting rifle.

The $950.00 is not a bad price but I think that there's some room for negotiations. Don't be shy or let your "love" interfere with business. If this rifle does "fit like a well-worn glove", that is a definite plus. It has the potential to perform better when the fit is correct.

Best.

rifleman.gif

jptatum,

This is one of the two statements that you've questioned after I've written them. Please re-read the statement about the VX-II scopes again. You have misunderstood what I wrote. If it doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try again. I've highlighted the sentence.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must admit this is the first time I have ever read or heard that the Leupold XVII is not a good scope. I do not own a Sauer rfile, but with that scope, I would say it is a real good buy.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is one in a local gunshop here in 30-06. has the schnabel forend with looks like rosewood tip. it is a 30-06 with a 3-9x weaver. also has what feels like a spring loaded bolt that does feel like it is "riding on air". the stock is a really light walnut or a maple. very nice gun, price is a steep at $1399. though it is something that i would buy if i had $1500 laying around. i wouldn't mind paying that price for something that feels that good. at $950 i would have the gun on layaway if nothing else.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunluv...you wont be disapointed with the Sauer. I have 5, 3 sauer 90s and 2 200's. All of them have proven themselves to be excellent in both function and accuracy. The fact that they are finished to a higher standard than most of what is out there today doesnt hurt either. Only real downside is finding Leuopold bases for them. Seems like no one has them when you want one.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense is right, I did not read his comment correctly. Sorry.

J. Patrick Tatum