In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Russian SKS

mscinderglomscinderglo Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just got an SKS (to sell from an estate) and don't know much about
them.
It is totally all matching numbers 7807, side reciever marks CCCP 05768, immaculate condition. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
thx

Comments

• mscinderglomscinderglo Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently picked up a Russian SKS from the 50's. Looks unfired and I was thinking of keeping it this way but saw a reply on the topic of a Yugo SKS

Should I keep this like new or shoot it? I have a Norinco preban that I do shoot. The Russian is preban as well.

"You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a couple hours or douse him with fuel oil and keep him warm the rest of his life"
    edited November -1
    Could someone tell me the difference between a black bolt and a shiny bolt? Does a black bolt make the rifle more collectible or does it have no significance? Thank You
    edited November -1
    Just put a Russian SKS on layaway at a Chinese price.Looks unfired and of great quality.It does not appear to have the Norinco chromelined bore,and it looks a little dark but may clean up nice.Throat looks good.Were`nt these guns made in the 50`s?.Also mine has a gap between the stock and the metal barrel clamp on the bottem end,is this normal.Also my bolt cover is a black chrome like rest of metal furniture,I thought they were normally silver?Thanks,DD
    edited November -1
    Using the Serial # how can I tell how old etc. my Russian SKS is?
    edited November -1
    I have a 1953 tula marked sks that is in excellent shape. It would be all matching except the original stock and 10 round magazine are long gone. Would the value of the rifle increase if I replaced the aftermarket parts with original russian?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "black bolt" SKS's have been arsenal refinished. A SKS that has a polished bolt and a blued finish would be more valuable to a collector.

Great care has to be exercised in this matter though as the black finish on the arsenal reworked SKS's, was more like a paint then a black oxide refinish. It is possible to remove it and polish the bolt to make it appear original. The arsenal refinished SKS's, usually are marked with a small square box marking with a "x" in it on top of the bolt cover to denote being reworked though.