In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Springfield Trapdoor Carbine Question

grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a line on a Springfield Trapdoor Carbine stamped as a Model 1884 on the receiver. Problem is it has a 5-digit serial number in the high 30,000's. According to my meager references on hand a model 1884 should have a much higher serial number.

Is it possible this a a re-arsenaled carbine or is it just a put together parts gun? Any suggestions on where to do some more research, most appreciated.

Comments

• grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you in advance. my first post. New to trapdoor. Just purchased 1873 carbine(I think). Barrel at muzzle has OD of about.73" which is the same as my trapdoor rifle at muzzle. That alone would indicate to me that it is NOT a cut down rifle. It has a 1873 breech block and dated 1873 US Springfield lock. My issue is that it has a buffington rear sight(marked C) with (M90)buffington rear band. It also has the door on the butt plate which my understanding was not on 1873 models. Serial number is 1384xx (1880?) It does have saddle ring and bar. It does have the holes in butt for 3 piece cleaning rod(missing). no cartouches on stock except the "4" toward butt. My best guess - 1880 manufactured carbine, retrofitted with newer carbine stock and buffington sight and band. Comments are welcomed and appreciated!
  • grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased my first Springfield Trapdoor Carbine. It was advertised as a re-blued original and I didn't pay much for it, just wanted a decent shooter.

When I slugged the barrel to determine what size cast bullet to order I discovered that the barrel has six lands and grooves. It slugged to .459. My understanding was that all originals had three lands and grooves. The barrel has what appears to me to be original barrel marking proofs - VP/Eagle Head at the rear next to the breech. The breech block is marked 1884. It has a Buffington rear sight and what appears to me to be the correct pinned front sight. It also has the late style butt plate with storage for cleaning rods.

I am aware that the import reproductions - Pedersoli, Uberti, etc. have six groove barrels. Did they have original proof marks? I can find no import marks on the barrel and the Buffington rear and pinned front don't make sense on them anyway. Did anyone make a six-land/groove barrel for the Springfield Trapdoor Carbine or am I mistaken that the originals were all three land/groove?
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by griz
    I have a line on a Springfield Trapdoor Carbine stamped as a Model 1884 on the receiver. Problem is it has a 5-digit serial number in the high 30,000's. According to my meager references on hand a model 1884 should have a much higher serial number.

Is it possible this a a re-arsenaled carbine or is it just a put together parts gun? Any suggestions on where to do some more research, most appreciated.

Yes, something is amiss. A receiver in the 30,000 range is the "narrow" receiver, whereas an 1884 breech block is for a "wide" receiver.

One possibilty is that some people look at the serial number without opening the breech block, as the lase digit is located UNDERNEATH the lever for the block. So, a sn that looks to be 30000 is actually 300001.

John
  • wild bunch guywild bunch guy Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen some with a very lite strike on the first number, the one I saw not to long ago was a litely struck #4xxxxx I had to use a loupe to see the 4, but it was there.

WBG