In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1894 help

cook2535cook2535 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey there, new to the site and I was hoping I could get some help.

Im trying figure out what my dad's winchester model 1894 is worth, seeing as he is computer illiterate, he gave me the task of finding out, anyway.

Its a model 1894, lever action 25-35, octagon barrel. Serial number 455747, which means it was made in 1908 (to the best of my knowledge). The barrel is blued. And it looks like it has a second trigger, but I think it has something to do with be able to switch it to a hair trigger function?

The butt-end of the gun has a "C" shaped curve to it... This rifle belonged to my great grandpa, and we got some good pictures of him with it. We dont want to sell it, we would just like to know.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    PS - Its in very good condition as well. No fancy engravings anywhere.. And there is a sight on the end of the barrel as well.

Thanks!
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A picture would help and bert is the man to answer any of your winchester questions. He will probably get back to you soon, so hold tight.[:D]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please post some quality pictures and give the barrel length. The two triggers are called "a double set trigger" one sets the other to a "hair trigger" per your assumption. With some quality photos Bert will be able to fill you in on your treasure. I would love to see the photos of your Grandpa with the gun! How cool is that.....
    Hey Cook,
    Just so you know this post will be locked after 10 replies! You can add to your post using the edit feature rather than reply! You may want to start a new thread with the pictures. Don't forget the pics with Grandma and Grandpa! Take the pictures like you wanted to see every detail if you were buying the gun!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll be sure to get a picture of it asap!.. Just need to find my chords so I can put the pictures on my computer. Won't be long.

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll also try to find some pictures of my great grandpa with the gun. Theres one with my grandma with too, and shes standing beside a cougar. Great pic.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello cook2535,

You potentially have a valuable old Winchester. The serial number tells me that it was manufactured in 1910 versus 1908. The caliber is one of the rarer ones offered in the Model 1894, and as such, it will bring a moderate premium to the collectors.

The set trigger is also a bonus as it was a special order option. If it has any other special order features, the value will go much higher.

In order to properly evaluate your dad's old Model 1894, I will need to see a series of well illuminated, clear, close-up pictures of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot Bert! Tomorrow I'll be able to get some good pictures of it. Then you can get a good look at it.