In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

smith & wesson 38

bencitattoozbencitattooz Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a .38 Hand Ejector M&P 2nd Model or Model of 1902. The serial number falls in the range the Blue Book has. 23xxx. It has a C about an inch in front of the number. The problem I have is it has a square butt. And the square butt falls the .38 Hand Ejector M&P 2nd Model, 1st Change. But the serial number range is to high. It starts at 33804. I need to know what it is worth. It has a small amount of wear on the front edge of the barrel. And a small amount of pitting back near the grip.

Thank you for any information you might have

Bluesteel4r

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i have a smith & wesson that has a 6 inch barrel on the left of the bearrel it says 38 s&w special ctg, thelast patent date is sept 14 09, it has a very dark wood handle with a diamond pattern on it, it is a 6 shot revolver, serial number that is marked in most of the places is is 172*** but on the bottom of the barrel it is marked B172***, and there is another number inside by the barrel that says 1077 (possibly 1Q77).
    i was wondering what model it is, when it was made, and what is an approximate value in good condition?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who owns a Smith & Wesson 38 Special. If anyone can tell me a little history on it or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I believe it has a 6" barrel. The letters USNCPC are stamped on the back strap of the grip. Inside the frame the numbers x 376 x are stamped. ( The xs represent a number also, and there's a gap between the 1st number and the 376, as well as the 376 and the last number ). There's also a lanyard loop on the bottom of the grip. That's all the info I have, again, THANKS Guys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dad has an old S&W .38. The serial number is 72XXX.
    It says S&W CTG'S on the barrel.
    Can somebody tell me approximately when this gun was made?

Thanks,
    Bobby.
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swing the cylinder open and look in the "crane" area. If there is no model number there, it is most likely a 1905 model because the serial number you have given would probably put it somewhere in the late 30's or early 40's.
    Also, you may try to look at the Smith revolvers on the auction side to identify yours. Start by looking at S&W 1905. You may find exactly what you have.

Aaron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the number inside is 1077 but i cant find anything about that model
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    1077 may be the assembly number, often found inside the sideplate as well. These were used to bring already-fitted parts together again if they got separated before the gun was serial numbered.
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a S&W revolver which was manufactured prior to their current modeling number system, the number in the crane area will match the number on the cylinder. Also, the number on the underside of the barrel (if present) will match the number on the bottom of the frame below the grips. These will be the serial number of the firearm, not the number on the crane and cylinder.
    By chance did you happen to look at the aution side yet to see if there are any 1905's that match your revolver?

Aaron