In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Transporting Rifle

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm traveling to NE in a couple of weeks and will take a 22LR rifle with me. Ideally, I would have it in a locked hard case in my trunk but I'll be in an extended bed Silverado so that's out. I could put the same case behind my seat but would I be OK having it uncased in the rifle holder built into the storage box under the rear seat. This box is not accessable without raising the seat. Naturally I would not be carrying ammo.

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Are you passing though states that have bad gun laws?

If not why are you worrying about it? As long at you are not in bad states I would just carry it however you normally would. Unloaded of course, I am not aware of a state that allows loaded carry of a long arm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will be going from Indy through IL, Iowa, to NE. If I were in a car with a trunk I wouldn't give it a second thought. As I said, no ammo in the truck. Maybe I just worry too much!
  • Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put a trigger lock on it if you're worried
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Locked hard case on the floor of the back seat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah duck, that would be best but I just would rather it be out of sight (even the case). I can go for Blair's thought of a trigger lock and put it in the under rear seat storage. Does this sound OK to you guys? Maybe I'm making a big deal about nothing. As I have said - if in a car w/ a trunk, I wouldn't have even posted.

Thanks again guys,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I'll calm down. Thanks for all the support. I'm headed out packin!

As my late father said - it's not paranioa if they really are out to get you!
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Calm down Jeff. We solved this problem(?) for you a couple weeks ago.

You can stop by there every month and shoot a couple jack rabbits for your friend. Tell her HI for us.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every State allows you to transport longarms *THROUGH* the state, so long as they are unloaded and locked up properly (usually in trunk).

While the exact rules may vary a little bit from state to state, really, if you have an unloaded .22 in a locked container, I can't imagine any problem so long as you don't take the gun out anywhere in between!
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ne. is no problem as long as it isn't consealed. Long gun can be loaded in plain sight, but not a shotgun. Locked in a case is fine also.