In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.8 SPC Ammo

roderickproderickp Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if Remington or anyone plans on producing in any quantity 6.8 SPC ammunition? I would like to pick up a Stag Arms rifle in 6.8 SPC but after searching online can find no one with ammo on hand/in stock. Anyone have an explanation for the shortage?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    roderickp,

There is some for sale on the Auction side.

Silver State shows some variations and brass in stock:

http://www.ssarmory.com/6.8ammunitionsales.aspx

These folks show 10 boxes in stock:

http://www.discountgunsales.com/ssa-68-spc-115-fmj-pr-2684.html

Buy brass and learn to reload also.

Best.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I can explain this. Most ammo is being used by the military. Try ordering from Silver State Arms but don't hold your breath. Remington will most likely kill this caliber next year when they introduce the .30 AR. This is basically a .30 Remington which is the same case the 6.8 SPC is based on. I saw Remington's 2009 catalog and there is no gun chambered in 6.8 Remington SPC. They listed 4 different 6.8 loadings but once again don't hold your breath. S & B is supposed to have a 6.8 loading available soon. Hornady also loads this again if you can find it. Silver State is listing 6.8 brass at $61.00 per hundred if they even have it. I was lucky I bought mine well over a year ago and it wasn't that easy to find then. Few gun stores reloading supply stores and most every one else doesn't even know what this caliber is. Get some ammo first before you buy the gun. But since you can't get good American .223 & 308 once again don't hold your breath with the 6.8, it really is a good cartridge good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    armilite1015,

For clarification:

The 6.8 SPC is a derivative of the .30 Remington case.

.30 Remington
    30remington.jpg

6.8 SPC
    68spc.jpg

The .30 Remington AR case is a derivative of the .450 Bushmaster which is a shortened .284 Winchester case.

.30 Remington AR
    30remingtonar2.jpg

When designing the new cartridge, Remington's engineers started with the .450 Bushmaster case. For the benefit of those who are not familiar with the .450, it was a joint-venture development between Hornady and Bushmaster.

At its base, the .30 AR case has a diameter of .500 inch. From there it tapers forward to .488 inch at the juncture of the body and shoulder. Neck diameter is .342 inch, and the case has a shoulder angle of 25 degrees. With a length of .305 inch, the neck is capable of exerting plenty of tension on the bullet, a good thing to have in a cartridge designed to survive the rather violent trip it must take from the magazine to the chamber of an autoloading rifle.

The cartridge carries the "short, fat" design to the extreme. It is based on a shortened version of the .450 Bushmaster, which itself was a cut-down version of the .284 Winchester. Like the .284 Win, the 30 Remington AR has a rebated rim, so it will fit a .308 Win-sized boltface (0.473#8243;). While it resembles a 30BR, the new case is much fatter, offering an impressive 44 grains of powder capacity. The portly diameter of the 30 RAR case dictates that the magazine will be a single-stack, and will hold only four (4) rounds.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nononsense FOR YOUR CLARIFICATION the Remington rep told me that the new .30 AR was based on the .30 Remington case so that is what I went by. But just to let interested parties know at approx. 11:00 pm cst. on 3/31 I was able to order (afford) 100 rounds of 6.8 Remington SPC 120 GR. Nosler accubond loaded rounds. This load and 1 other were available from Silver State Armory. So if I was the author of this thread I would go to their website and buy some ammo and then go order your Stag7L.Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's why I posted the link to their website. I went there and tested the ones listed as being in-stock to be sure they were available before I posted the link. I did the same thing with the other website as well as the Auctions.

I'm glad you found it useful and secured some for yourself.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense

I think you have me confused with the thread originator. He was the one looking for 6.8 SPC ammo. I have about 1000 rounds of ammo but could not find any of the Nosler Accubond bullets. Since I rechecked the Silver State web site and they had the Nosler load I figured I should buy some. Since the Nosler bullets for this are about $24.00 per 50 the $39.00 a box wasn't to far out of line. I was confirming to the thread originator that some 6.8 is available as of last night. Thanks Curt