In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Low Wall Block

Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have an 1885, according to the book, made in 1886. It has a tall block. The gun was chambered in 32 long RF. But some clown,(not me) did a pretty crap job converting it to center fire.

005_zpsq72kww4b.jpg[/URL]

I would think finding an original replacement block is pretty well out of the question. I could bush the face of the block and re-drill the firing pin hole.

I don' suppose anyone knows where i might find a replacement block

Thanks

Comments

• Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
    edited November -1
    I have a 1885 low wall that was originally 32 long RF, some one butchered the block to make it a 32 CF. I believe I can repair it. If I go back to Rim fire the gun sits, if I go to center fire I can use it. It's in decent but certainly not mint condition other than the block. Does the repair to the block knock it out of being original, if so I think center fire, Any suggestions. Thanks

block.jpg
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question is why do you want to convert it back to rim fire? The 32 Long rim fire cartridge is long obsolete.

The breech block style you are looking for was used up to the early 17,000 serial number range.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen a number of conversions with a plate dovetailed into the bolt and then drilled for the firing pin.

added Larry needs a brass or lead hammer in his shop. What 5 tries to find the correct spacing - Trigonometry isn't that hard. His lead casting mallet is way oversized too.
  • Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
    edited November -1
    I was planning on redoing the face and keep it as center fire. Just wanted to see if people thought it possible. Also will I need to add a vent hole. Center fire blocks have them and rim fire do not.