In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CCI Stingers/Old Mossbergs

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone think there'd be any problems with shooting CCI Stingers in 1940-1950 era Mossberg auto-loaders?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Stingers have a slightly longer case length, than conventional 22 ammo. I believe that CCI brought them out in the late 60's. Years after your mossy was made.

My personal experience with them. Is even though they are more hotly loaded, than conventional High Speed 22's. The light bullet weight (33) grains? Keeps the chamber pressure down. Don't see you having any safety problems, as long as your rifle is in good shape. And is safe to shoot, with conventional 22 H-S ammo.
  • SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While safe to shoot, I have found that in some of my older weapons that the lighter grain bullets will not eject the spent case. My old Woodsman's simply demand 40 grain bullets.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think you'll have safety issues, if that's the question. IE, you still need to wear eye/ear protection (as you ALWAYS should) but you're not going to "blow up" the gun or injure yourself.

Says CCI:
    quote:http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0050

Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions.

The latter probably DOES apply to your guns.

Reason is, as mentioned above, that Stingers use slightly longer than normal cases (that's part of how they get the extra velocity) and the cases can stick if you've got a tight benz/match type chamber.

Ruger advises against using these in its 10-22 rifles, for example.

Some claim that the longer case and hotter powder also cause faster throat erosion in .22s that shoot a lot of Stingers. I don't know if that's true, but its certainly plausible, and its a good reason not to use these in "match" type guns.

Also as mentioned above, some autos won't cycle these. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule there. . .it depends on exact chamber dimensions, spring tension, etc. You can have two otherwise similar guns of the same make, and the two prefer different types of ammo. So you'd have to try this and see.