In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Steel shot in my shotgun

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
Gentlemen, I have a Tikka 412S 12ga that I acquired this year and I was going to take it dove hunting. I looked all over for the steel proof stamping and don't see it. I've looked online and the only thing I find is some info about modern guns with choke tubes being able to shoot steel. I found a gun bible listing about the gun and the details on it, but no info on use of steel.

Does anyone know if this gun is ok for steel?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 412's are the older models, from the 80's/90's? If it is choked modified or full. I wouldn't be using it for steel. I C choke would be OK, far as I know.

412's are big buck guns, specially if it is one of the earlier ones made in Finland. Don't want to screw it up by shooting steel, in a tight choke barrel. Not meant for steel.

Have a gunsmith check it out though. When steel became mandatory, some misguided folks had their barrels honed out. Safe for steel shot, but hurt collectors value of the guns. I had a real nice Model 12 that had been opened up. Had a hard time selling it, as it was way to heavy for my liking.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. I'd make sure I used metal filled choke tube lube.

Worth a call to ask.
    http://www.sako.fi/distributor/united-states
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    The 412's are the older models, from the 80's/90's? If it is choked modified or full. I wouldn't be using it for steel. I C choke would be OK, far as I know.

412's are big buck guns, specially if it is one of the earlier ones made in Finland. Don't want to screw it up by shooting steel, in a tight choke barrel. Not meant for steel.

Have a gunsmith check it out though. When steel became mandatory, some misguided folks had their barrels honed out. Safe for steel shot, but hurt collectors value of the guns. I had a real nice Model 12 that had been opened up. Had a hard time selling it, as it was way to heavy for my liking.

It has all 5 choke tubes sizes with it. I was going to use IM for one barrel and IC for the other so I would have all ranges covered.

This one is made in Finland by Valmet. Says Tikka on the side, imported by Stoeger.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam

It has all 5 choke tubes sizes with it. I was going to use IM for one barrel and IC for the other so I would have all ranges covered.

This one is made in Finland by Valmet. Says Tikka on the side, imported by Stoeger.

I might be wrong, but don't believe the earlier Valmet made guns had screw in chokes?

If so, wouldn't make any difference. Barrels have been reworked for screw in chokes. This would have a negative affect on collectors value. Shooting steel wouldn't make any difference.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can determine the choke tube thread order steel compatible choke tubes for it. Personally, I prefer to use the extended tubes. Sure, they're ugly, but when they stretch (and they will stretch) the choke portion is forward of the thread and won't jam tight.

As an aside: Steel shot wad technology has come a long way over the years. Use to be you had to worry about bore scuff as well as choke stretch/split on older softer barrels. Modern advanced wads will prevent bore scuff.