In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NFA question....

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Okay got a question and not sure where to find a correct answer. I hope one of you folks can point me the right way or maybe even know. I have been reading at the ATF site but all I have done is made a bigger mess in my mind. [:)]

I want to make a short barrel shotgun. I will follow the rules so it will be legal.

Here is the thing, the gun I would like to use is one with 3 bbls, NEF 20g, .223, .243. Can I cut the shotgun bbl down and swap it back and forth on the frame as long as I do not have the pistol grip on the frame with a rifle bbl?

Or do I just need a different donor to make my SBS?

Thanks for any help, David.
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I would keep things separate, so no stock swapping was needed, or any room for error was created.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as the frame with the pistol grip mounted, with the rifle barrels. Is over 26", long total. And the rifle barrels themselves are over 16" long, don't see you having any problem.

Your only concern, is when the short barrel shotgun is mounted. Than most definitely your going to need the federal tax stamp and paper work.

On the other hand if the rifle barrels mounted, on the pistol griped stock. Are shorter than a total length of 26", it gets dicey. Than I would go along with TSR, get 2 separate frames. And keep them separate.

Edit #1,

The above just pertains to the feds. What the requirements in commie states, like CA & MA, NJ etc. Are, I don't know? They might lock you up for 20 years, with sugar bugger bubba as a cellmate. If they catch you with a pistol gripped rifle, that also has a short shotgun barrel.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Did this thing start out as a rifle, or did it begin life as a 20 gauge shotgun? It actually makes a difference.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Did this thing start out as a rifle, or did it begin life as a 20 gauge shotgun? It actually makes a difference.

Good question, it came in a box with 3 bbls and none were on the frame, may be worth the time to just get a different gun to deal with. If not some dudes in cheap suits may come knocking and I am just not in the mood to deal with them at all.

How would I find out if I was interested enough to look into that question? Would NEF be able to tell me if I send them an e-mail.

No matter like I said above I will just use a different shotgun.

Thanks guys for the replies.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    NEF should be able to tell you how it left the factory. The pistol grip is an issue. If the firearm left as a shotgun then it is and will always be a shotgun, or in your case (eventually) a short barreled shotgun. If it left as a rifle, you could still register it as a short barreled shotgun, but if you add the pistol grip, a short shotgun barrel (below 18 inches) and the over all length of the firearm falls below 26 inches, it becomes an Any Other Weapon by definition. This is only if it left NEF as a rifle. If it left NEF as a shotgun then it doesn't matter what you do to it because it remains a shotgun regardless.

My advice is to just throw that pistol grip in a drawer and forget about it.