In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new scope

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Looking to buy a new scope. Have used leupold in the past, but $pendy, read about vortex but have not talked to anyone who has used one.
Will be used on a 223 for pests, and deer and pronghorn. Want verible power. Input welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look for one with the 5.56 trajectory built in. If I had a 7.62 NATO I would look for that was set for that.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In optics, money talk and BS walks. Save your dinero and go with a burris or leupold. Most of the lessor stuff comes out of China, or even other lower wage places nowadays.

Don't get me wrong Chinese stuff can be high quality. If the quality of the scope components, and the expertise of the folks assembling the scope is top notch. But when you use expensive glass, and paying for high quality optical technicians. Not going to be much off a Leupold or a Burris.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Vortex scopes , I have two, very good scopes, several different "grades" and price points, all come with a great warranty .
  • Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swift is a good buy for the money.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a couple of Vortex scopes and like them. Most of my optics are Burris, Leupolds, Nikons, and Sightrons in that order. You can often get really good deals on used, blemished, and demo higher end scopes. Try here on auction side and http://www.samplelist.com/
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Vortex Viper PST, with the EBR1 reticle, can be had right now at Euro Optic, for $499.99.

I have a handful of the Viper PST 6-24x, and they can be had with the first focal plane reticle too. They are the best bang on the market, and offer more than the Leupold MK 4, IMHO, at half the price...or less.

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-rifle-scope-ebr-1-mrad-pst-416s1-m.aspx
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Geri
    Looking to buy a new scope. Have used leupold in the past, but $pendy, read about vortex but have not talked to anyone who has used one.
    Will be used on a 223 for pests, and deer and pronghorn. Want verible power. Input welcomed.

Check out SWFA samples section, lots of good deals on company demo scopes, closeouts. I've bought lots from them, their descriptions on condition are accurate. I know Leupold, Burris are always good "name brand" choices but Pentax has some pretty good glass. There's more to a scope than clarity, I know. But I have a few on 22 rimfire and centerfire, they do good.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UNLIMITED LEFETIME WARRANTY TO ANY OWNER (LEUPOLD) AND MADE IN THE USA

What else could you want?

I've bought Used Leupolds real reasonable with careful shopping.
    I returned a used Leupold 3x9 with AO awhile back that the AO was very hard to turn. They called and offered me a VXII 4x12 ($400 scope) because mine was too old to be repaired due to parts no longer available, etc. I told them to look on ebay for parts![:0] I told them that I need a scope with AO. Their custom shop special built for me a VXII 3x9 with AO and engraved my name and custom serial number and matching new box with scope caps, no charge.

I've bought several other brand name scopes and when they have a problem I've found that it's most generally easier just to throw it in the trash can instead of trying to deal with getting a repair and dealing with Customer service people that suck big air, especially Bushnell, Simmons, Swift, just to name a few.
    Bushnell sent me a replacement that was worse than the $300 one I sent in for repairs. I just trashed it and gave up. It was 6 mo's before I finally received the POS replacement.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushnell Elite scopes are a lot of scope for the money.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spirits
    Bushnell Elite scopes are a lot of scope for the money.

Yes they are, BUT Bushnell customer service sucks big air if you ever need them!

If Donald gets elected I'm going to have him call Bushnell CS for me.[:o)]
    I've got couple of their POS game cameras I need to return, but dread trying to deal with them.[:(]