In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hornady 450 marlin sizing die

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
recently bought a set of hornady custom grade dies. following the instructions i disassembled the dies to clean. i noticed that there wasn't a neck expander in the sizing die. is this not necessary in straight cases? there is a piece to hold the decapping pin in place but it is only about .25 dia. thanks

Comments

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you should have a three die set, there should be a separate expanding die, along with the resizing and seating dies.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would contact Hornady customer service. About why wasn't a expander die wasn't included? Their expensive dies, what they sell for. A expander should have been part of the set.

If they don't have a reasonable explanation? You might have luck by using a 45 ACP or 45 LC expander die(s). There is only .006 difference in diameter, between the 450 Marlin and the handgun cartridges. They would likely work OK, for expanding the 450 Marlin.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks all i was momentarily confused by reading the instructions, that stated this was part of the sizing die on the decaping pin. it also said it was sized by caliber leading me to believe i should have one. after pulling my head out and looking at a set of 45-70 dies i realized all was well. yes i do have all three dies and they work well.