In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fuzz in Rear Sight Aperture

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Don't usually shoot with iron sights anymore but got out an old Mossberg 44US the other day and took it to the range. Cleaned the aperture and, no matter what I did, it still had fuzz in it. So finally I unscrewed it and watched through it as I did. The fuzz stayed in the same place (didn't turn) as I twisted the disc! The fuzz must be on my eye lens. Is this common?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a cataract to me.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is astigmatism. Typical for "old eyes". Have you eyes checked and open up the aperture.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    yup ya got fuzzed eyeballs
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have your eyes checked and get a scope.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

Exactly what I was going to say. I have that "fuzz" in the middle of every peep sight. The last eye exam I had the doctor told me I had a minor cataract in my right eye. I had kept trying to clean the peep sights.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    It is astigmatism. Typical for "old eyes". Have you eyes checked and open up the aperture.
    Yep
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

You saying the kind of car he drives makes a difference in his shooting? [:o)]

I have floater that jacks with me when using peep sights, the scope fixed that.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try looking thru the other eye. (as a test)

I can shoot a rifle right or left eye due to practicing or just doing such such for several years and noticed awhile back that scope is less bright when looking thru right eye and requires careful movement of the Right eye to get best view thru the scope especially early morning and late evening when their is less sunlight.

Scopes are clear and normal when looking thru the left eye and don't really notice the difference when reading or working unless I test each eye one at a time.

I keep telling optometrists for last 5 years (when I go in for glasses) about sight picture of right eye when looking thru a hunting scope and then they take a closer look and say well you do have a slight cataract, but not severe enough to be concerned yet.

I suspect the eye Doc's I've been talking to are tree huggers members of PETA.

Bet if I talked to a eye surgeon he would be saying you need a operation immediately and we will schedule it this coming mid September, so I would be paying for his next big game fall hunting trip.[B)]
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is common for optometrists to tell us older fellas that, yes you have cataracts, but no, they're not serious enough to do anything about, yet. But certain occupations or hobbies demand better than average eyesight. I was told I was corrected to 20/20, but I was sure that distant detail was compromised (I am a pilot, and I feel the very best vision is absolutely necessary). If what I had was 20/20, it just didn't cut it any more.

Luckily a good friend of my daughter is an opthamologist, and I persuaded her to look at my vision issues. She said yes, there are cataracts, and normally they aren't considered bad enough for surgery. But if I insisted, she would recommend me for cataract surgery. I had it done, and lo and behold, my eyesight was corrected to the previously enjoyed 20/15 or better, and I felt safe flying again. And, I could see iron sights again, sharp and clearly defined.
    Halos around lights when driving at night mostly disappeared. I am glad I attended to the problem. Not sure if my case would apply to anyone else...
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just open the hole up and it won't be as fuzzy, worked for me.......
    just because you could doesn't mean you should