In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 Creedmoor

tkindvalltkindvall Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Looking to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor. Trying to decide between the Savage model 16 Lightweight hunter and the Bergara B-14. Any advice between these two would be appreciated. Roughly the same price so that is not an issue just interested if anyone has owned one or the other and their recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Savage has so many more after market options...
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tkindvall,

This quote is from a factory description. Note that it is compatible with a couple of M700 components as well as aftermarket stocks. The other descriptor is with regard to the often lauded 'floating bolt head' from Savage.

quote:The action shares the Remington 700's footprint, so it's compatible with Model 700 aftermarket triggers and safeties. Yet it has several features the original gun lacks. The 16-oz. (short action) body is made by Bergara in America and features an extended collar that incorporates and conceals the recoil lug. It has an 8 1#8260;16" overall length in short-action and 8 15#8260;16" in long-action. Flimsy it is not.

Its bolt is partially made and assembled by a well-known OEM bolt maker whose name McGarity won't reveal due to the maker's existing contracts with other rifle makers. It features spiral fluting to minimize binding even when dirty, a floating bolt head to ensure perfect alignment to the receiver, a stationary gas shield, a sliding plate-style extractor, two locking lugs and a 90-degree throw. Hendricks told me the action will be standard equipment in two of Bergara's three rifle lines.

You haven't let us in on what you might be wanting to use either rifle for although by their names it could be assumed that these will be hunters.

I personally don't care for the tinny sound of the Savage action since it is distracting and just plain sounds cheap, like it is. I haven't handled this particular Bergara but I have handled others at SHOT Show. While interesting in their choice of components, these Bergara's are really building their reputation on the accuracy of their barrels. The rest of the components can be gotten and assembled into accurate rifles in various iterations by knowledgeable gunsmiths.

While the owners tout the consistency and accuracy of their barrels, their rifles have yet to make an appearance at any of the top competition slots at any of the venues I frequent. But that could be changed rapidly by setting themselves up as a major team sponsor. This is one of the easiest, albeit expensive inroads into getting your name known.

Other than that, Bergara hasn't fielded anything that all of the other makers field already. The only differentiation will be the performance of their barrels.

Best.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Bergara bbl's

I have watched with interest as they try to find their niche in the custom gun pantheon

Mike
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Savage 16 LW Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. I am very happy with it out of the box. Not broken in good yet and have only tried the Hornady Superformance ammo,(handloads to follow when I have made some more empty brass) but getting just under 1 inch five shot groups consistently. (edit: 100 yd groups) I am going to lighten the trigger a bit to get it more to my liking but other than that I see no need to change anything.

Have no info on the Bergara.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor

A short 6.5-308 so to speak. I really like dad's 256 Newton a 6.5-06 so to speak.
  • Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same rifle that Carbine does and I really like it. Savage is a really good buy for the money.