In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rock Island M5 Shotgun

gatorhidegatorhide Member Posts: 562 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Howdy,
I see this shotgun locally for $160.00 new + tax.
It must be made in china. Has anyone shot one and if so, what is the quality on a scale of 1 to 10 ? Money wasted ? Thanks, gatorhide

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gatorhide,

I don't have any personal experience with this particular shotgun but I did find a blog which discussed it with reasonable fairness. It is not made in China:

quote:The good thing about the M5 is that we do not have to sacrifice quality to get a good price. Armscor makes their firearms in the Philippines, and they use quality materials assembled with skilled craftsmanship.

Best.
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gatorhide,

Jeff Quinn reveiwed them in 2014. You can read the article, and watch the video, at this site:

http://www.gunblast.com/Armscor-M5.htm

...or, just watch the video, here:

https://youtu.be/P-EH8Czmd1Q

Armscor/Rock Island Armory Matte Nickel M5 12 Gauge Fighting Shotgun

by Jeff Quinn

photography by Jeff Quinn & Boge Quinn

January 29th, 2014
    quote:
    The M5 is based upon the old High Standard Flite King design, but unlike the sporting versions of that design, the M5 is purpose-built for fighting. I recently came across a great deal on the M5 from Davidson's Gallery of Guns, and I ordered five of them. I issued one to my son-in-law, and the other four will serve here as home-defense weapons, placed strategically around the home.

quote:...the M5 is a very well-built shotgun. It holds five rounds in the magazine, for a total capacity of six rounds at the ready. The black synthetic buttstock has storage for two more shotshells. The M5 uses both two-and-three-quarter and three-inch shotshells. It loads through the bottom, like most pump guns, and a shotgun of this style allows the magazine to be topped-off during a fight, if necessary. In other words, when the situation allows, another shell or two can be placed into the magazine without taking the gun out of the fight. A plus for the M5 is that when the bolt is closed, the shell lifter (carrier) is in the upward position, making it really easy to thumb another shell into the magazine, without having to push up on a spring-loaded lifter.

++++++

&&&&&&&&
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BigLoop22
    gatorhide,

Jeff Quinn reveiwed them in 2014. You can read the article, and watch the video, at this site:

January 29th, 2014[/b][/center]
    The M5 is based upon the old High Standard Flite King design,

If the above is correct. I would question the reliability aspect.

The original H-S pump guns only had a operating rod on one side. Vis a Vis the Rem 870. That has 2, from the pump mechanism to the bolt carrier.

Years back I knew a reserve cop in callie. Who bought one of the High Standards. He had all kinds of binding problems. Because the operating rod would bind up.
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe,

From the article:

quote:The cylinder-bore barrel is threaded into the steel receiver. It does not simply slide in, as with most pump guns. The M5 has twin action bars, and this is absolutely the smoothest action on any pump shotgun that I have ever fondled or fired. No twisting nor binding, just a really slick action, and a very good trigger pull as well.

))))))))))

((((((((
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Rock Island Armory guns are manufactured in the Phillipine's. I have a couple. They are very well made guns for the $$. RIA 1911's are coming on strong in the market. Would have no hesitation, buying one of their products.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never had any issues with the single action arm on my Ithaca 37 or my Remington 29A. However the tighter magazine tube (which rattles less than my 870's) can cause issues with reloads. This is cured by using the collet MEC Super Sizer.

Other models with aluminum receivers or soft steel would likely do better with twin actions bars.
  • gatorhidegatorhide Member Posts: 562 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for your information. gatorhide
  • deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a RIA 10/22 clone on a trade, it's excellent; nice finish and operates perfectly.