In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Selling Ammo Online

DPWLHR01DPWLHR01 Member Posts: 18
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a bunch of various caliber ammo in large quantity and I'd like do start selling some of it online. Can someone give a brief explanation on how to go about doing this? Like what carriers to use,how to label it properly, etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    read the sticky at the beginning of the page for info!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shipping ammo legally, per the federal regs. Through the common carriers, (Fed X & UPS). Is expensive and a pain, jumping through all their hoops.

Long as the buyer is willing to pay all the shipping and transportation charges. Over and above the actual cost of the ammo. Go for it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I love the fact that you can find & buy just about anything you need on the internet and sell just about anything EXCEPT loaded small arms ammoat a reasonable priceShipping and hazmat cost turns this item to low sale price for the seller and High cost to the buyer
    UNLESS you put in your ad LOCAL PICK UP ONLY
    another option is to rent a table at a gun show
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As above no USPS, and trust me, it is expensive mailing it. You will have to eat some of the cost shipping it to sell it or price it down where it is some what of a deal to get it shipped. Unless you have some exotic ammo that just isn't out there.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I love the fact that you can find & buy just about anything you need on the internet and sell just about anything EXCEPT loaded small arms ammoat a reasonable priceShipping and hazmat cost turns this item to low sale price for the seller and High cost to the buyer
    UNLESS you put in your ad LOCAL PICK UP ONLY
    another option is to rent a table at a gun show

There is NO hazmat fee on ammo shipments under 70 pounds. Anyone telling you else wise needs to review the ground carrier shipping regulations (now if you live somewhere that's only accessible by air IE Hawaii or Alaska, than you will be paying through the nose for shipping).
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner is correct. But, there are other requirements that will cost you additional time, fees, or both.

FedEx requires shipment only by scheduled pickup. You can't ship ammo from a hub or FedEx Office store.

UPS requires shipment only from a UPS hub or a scheduled pickup. There are specific packaging requirements.

Your competition - businesses that regularly sell ammo - all have contracts with the common carriers that allow them to ship other methods & at a much lower rate.

And, folks buying ammo from an individual are looking for a bargain price, especially since they don't know how old the ammo is, or how you stored it.

Neal