In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Essex .22 rifle ???

Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
OK :
Been cleaning up / orginizing a mobile home that we use for storage untill I can get some work done to maybe rent it out !
Found an old single shot .22 rifle " Essex " ? really kind of rough !
Cleaned it up a bit and put in the safe room ???
Anybody know anything bout these ????
Im guessing no real value ! Just courious !!!!

Thanks !!!!
The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I THINK these were made by Savage for Belknap Hardware of Louisville KY. Known as a "hardware store" gun. Ones I have seen had ESSEX in large letters on the left rear of the receiver.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Essex name is also listed, as being used on shotguns made by Crescent Fire Arms Co.

Given this I agree with the previous poster. This is a "Store Brand" or "Hardware Gun".

"Hardware" or "Store Brand Guns". Were utility grade firearms, most likely made. In the 50 years between the 1880's and the 1930's. As the Hardware store owned the name. The would sell guns made by any manufacturer, who would meet their price point.

The Depression of the late 1920's. Gun control legislation of the 1930's, and World War II. Put a big, crimp in Store Brand and Hardware Guns.

Although they are still made to this day. You just can't walk into a local hardware store, put your money down on the counter. And walk out with a gun, no questions asked.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK !!!
    Just as I thought !

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some pictures would be helpful to identify the manufacturer!