In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A NM Cleaning

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
I've asked this on another forum but I am asking this here also.

If it is not recommended to remove the action of an M1A NM as it is glass bedded, how is the best way to lubricate/grease the thing.

It is new and I got the thing dry.

BTW, I am not doing anything with the barrel until I get a bore guide.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    CONTACT Springfield They built it
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    That's not covered in the user's manual?
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you are very careful with removal and reinstallation of the action you should not have any problem with a properly glass bedded stock.
    That said it should only be done sparingly, once a year is all that should be possibly needed anyway,the rest of the time a spray down of the internals with a good aerosol cleaner and a quality lube should suffice.
    The only reason for a more thorough cleaning or lube is if the rifle is exposed to harsh weather conditions,excessive dirt or sand, or a very high round count.
    My 1975 m1a all GI parts (except the receiver) NM glass bedded rifle has been out of its stock maybe 10 times over the last 40 years it is still in pristine condition after a ton of shooting and the stock to action fit is just as tight as when new.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only mention of NM cleaning is to minimize removal of the action. All cleaning/maintenance instructions show removing the action from the stock.

Another site advised me to use q tips to lube the cams and remove the action about once a year if that.

Hence the question in the Ask the Experts

On hindsight, I should have looked at the loaded version, but c'est la vie.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Glass" bedding is usually tough stuff compared to wood. I would think careful take down and reassembly shouldn't be as much of an issue as having the weapon out in the weather with out proper cleaning/lubing.

I can tell you for a fact that RIG gun grease will soften the old 2 part epoxy Micro-Bed to the point of failure. I loaned a rifle to a friend and I knew he wouldn't take the best care. I greased the metal hidden by the wood heavily. When I got the rifle back a year later and shot it the bedding failed.

added I bedded the metal in Rig grease and wiped off what squeezed out. After a year it softened the epoxy - I just scraped it all out and re-bedded with MicroBed. I still use Rig with no issues, just not swimming in the stuff.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Take the action out once a year and grease everything with Lubriplate.

Mil Spec for the M14 is Lubriplate.

Check out the M14 forum for details on what to grease if you are not familiar with lubing the M14 type rifles.

I wouldn't let the fear of ruining bedding keep me from having a properly maintained rifle. If or when the bedding gives way, it is not a terrible job to re-bed the action.

Another option would be to set the stock aside and get a fiberglass USGI stock for general use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    "Glass" bedding is usually tough stuff compared to wood. I would think careful take down and reassembly shouldn't be as much of an issue as having the weapon out in the weather with out proper cleaning/lubing.

I can tell you for a fact that RIG gun grease will soften the old 2 part epoxy Micro-Bed to the point of failure. I loaned a rifle to a friend and I knew he wouldn't take the best care. I greased the metal hidden by the wood heavily. When I got the rifle back a year later and shot it the bedding failed.

Thank you. I had Rig +P lube I was going to use. I will stay away from that product to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out this fella's youtube videos on cleaning and disassembly of the M1A.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3/videos

He's a regular over at the M14 Forum.

Using his videos I was able to take my Scout down to the barrelled action.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty decent info on the videos.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales