In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hi Power Slide Operation

penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
Why is the slide much easier to position to the back of the frame with the magazine removed?

Should you be able to position the slide to the rear with a loaded magazine in place?

If yes, when would you want to do so?

I just purchased a Hi Power and want to be familiar with it's operation before I go to shoot it.

Thanks

Penguin

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    the best thing for you to do is Get a owners manual with written instructions and then find someone that knows the operation of tha t pistol and get training from them
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Why is the slide much easier to position to the back of the frame with the magazine removed?
    Not sure. This isn't the case with most pistols. Maybe the hi-power magazine safety has something to do with it. I'll defer this question to someone more knowledgeable about these pistols than myself.

quote:Should you be able to position the slide to the rear with a loaded magazine in place?
    Well, you *should* be able to "rack" the slide, pulling it back then releasing it to load the gun.

If the magazine is loaded, the slide lock should NOT engage. When the magazine is EMPTY the magazine follower should push up on the inside of the slide lock, causing the slide to lock backwards on an empty chamber. This, in turn, alerts you that the gun is empty, and makes for a faster reload.

You can pull the slide back with a loaded magazine, then MANUALLY push up on the slide lock causing the slide to be locked back with a loaded magazine in place. Short of clearing an unusual type of malfunction, I can't think of a good reason to do this, and its not standard operating procedure.

If you're going to do this, you need to remember the gun is LOADED, keep your finger OFF the trigger, and the muzzle pointed in a SAFE direction.

quote:If yes, when would you want to do so?
    See above. With certain kinds of malfunctions (eg cartridge lodged in chamber that won't extract or double-feed), this might be part of the process of clearing the gun. But the very next thing you'd want to do is drop the loaded magazine out of the gun.

quote:I just purchased a Hi Power and want to be familiar with it's operation before I go to shoot it.
    That's wise.

See here as a good place to start:

http://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/support/owners-manuals/2016/12-BFA-323_HiPower OM_WEB.pdf
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF mag is improperly fitted the feed lops may drag the slide underside.
    You will see scratch marks under the slide if this is the case.
    In charging the chamber , the slide is drawn fully to the rear and released.
    To disassemblle the gun, draw the slide fully to the rear and engage the safety.
    This is done with mag removed.
    Press slide stop out from far side.
    REstrain the slide whilst releasing the safety and the slide will slide forward off the frame. THe rest is self explanatary
    IF the mag is dragging against the slide it can be fitted by filing the mag catch slot or feed lips but by someone familiar with auto pistols.
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
    Thanks for you input guys. I appreciate the help. Penguin