In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

tumbling bullets

W92fanW92fan Member Posts: 92
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
What might cause .22 LR bullets to tumble after leaving the barrel, especially as regards a new liner being installed ? Any chance this might be something that could improve with use ?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your liner has the wrong twist rate. If 22 LR tumble your liner was for 22 Short.

added Interesting, seems way fast to me. Is it one of the shallow multi groove or a normal 4 groove and what is the diameter?

22 Short 1-20 22 LR 1-16
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/barrel-liners/22-caliber-rimfire-barrel-liners-prod10974.aspx

A bad crown causes poor accuracy in my experience. The only things I have seen cause key holing is shot out rifling, wrong twist rate as in too slow, bullets pushed harder than their construction allows.

In muzzle loaders the round ball twist rate is 1-72 or 1-48 range, rates faster will not shoot accurately with the round ball that comes out as a squatty round nose. Rates in the 1-12 to 1-48 work better with elongated bullets.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .........or maybe it was for magnums ? (bore oversize)
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be due to ammo also. There are a couple heavy rounds out there for 22LR, that use a 50, and 60 grain bullet. They need an exceptionally fast twist to stabilize the bullet.

Another problem, could be how the crown was cut at the muzzle.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had problems with tumbling in various 22 rimfires over the years. In addition to the wrong barrel twist. For specific bullet and bullet weigh. Fouling could be another contributory factor.

Some guns and ammo categories, just don't get along. Specific ammo I've had problems with in the past. Is the old manufacture Remington Thunderbolts, (new stuff is OK), and Winchester 555's.

I would buy a whole selection of different rimfire ammo, and try them. Differing bullet weights and bullet hardness, might make a difference in your gun. Shooting a old Colt conversion unit, I had to go to CCI Stingers. For reliable function and accuracy.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is happening with standard or HV 40 grain ammo from a domestic maker, I'd be in contact with who ever installed the liner.
  • W92fanW92fan Member Posts: 92
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Your liner has the wrong twist rate. If 22 LR tumble your liner was for 22 Short.
    I checked the twist with a cleaning rod & brush and the twist appears to be about 8. Too fast for LR std. target ammo ? Any ideas about what ammo might work
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's fast for most .22 ammo.. Factory short, long, long rife factory barrels are normally 1:16.. Try a heavy bullet like Aguila 60gr..

Added- You might want to slug the bore and make sure it's not for a centerfire .224.. .22 Long Rifle should be .222.. But that alone shouldn't cause the bullet to tumble..
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    W92fan,

quote:I checked the twist with a cleaning rod & brush and the twist appears to be about 8.

Not only is it too fast for standard .22LR ammunition but I'll almost bet that it's a centerfire liner with a groove diameter of .224". I suggest slugging it and then contacting the person who installed the liner for a 'come to Jesus meeting'.

Best.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That twist rate would only be appropriate for the Aguila "sniper" 60 grain ammo.
    Unless you specifically requested this twist rate, whoever installed the liner owes you a NEW barrel.