In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1917 Arsenal Refurb

heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hi Everybody,

I have an arsenal refurbished 1917 which I purchased some years ago. It was refurbished at the Augusta Georgia Arsenal for use in WWII and has a Johnson barrel. (Ironically enough the Augusta Arsenal used to be located about a block from where I used to live.) It looks like primarily an Eddystone but there are "R" marked parts on it as well. The bore on the rifle looks new and is shiny and bright. It also has the grey park finish on the metal.

[img][/img]M1917%20Augusta%20Arsenal%20Refurb%202016-09-16.jpg

[img][/img]2016-09-16_170439101_1D813_iOS.jpg

[img][/img]DCP_1917_4.jpg

[img][/img]DCP_1917_2.jpg

[img][/img]DCP_0180.jpg

I know that because it is a refurb that it will not have the value of a M1917 rifle with all matching parts but I wanted some expert opinion as to its value.

Best wishes to all.

Heavyiron

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A nice, clean M1917 Starts at $400+ in the upper mid-west area. Eddystone produced the most and is the least value. Winchester is the highest value and the lowest quality, so I have heard.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks straight to me. Do an advance search on completed auctions.

They are good strong actions, way to heavy to carry very far IMHO.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't remember the last time I saw an "arsenal rebuilt" M1917 that looks as good as yours. The original blue is very good, & the arsenal rebuild stamp is fresh, as is the rest of the stock. It's going to be difficult to find "comps". I wouldn't be surprised if, at auction, you got > $1,000 for it.

Neal

EDIT: In general, I would expect an original M1917 to sell for 2X the price of a comparable arsenal rebuild. As narc pointed out, Winnie's bring higher prices. There are a lot of folks out there with deep pockets who don't know what they are bidding on, & sometimes a lower quality gun will bring a high price.
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal, would an arsenal rebuilt have more value than an original in comparable shape? Just curious, this one looks very clean, nice piece heavyiron (in my very limited experience). I'm doing a comparison to a Winchester I have with all original (I had a local WWI/WWII expert look it over for verification)with the original barrel (stamped 9/18).
    Thanks
    Chris
    Thanks fro the info Neal.Chris
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who commented.

It is a fine piece and it has been a safe queen since it was purchased.

Best
  • 1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From "Standard Catalog of Military Firearms, 7th Edition, 2013":

During WWII all parts were parkerized, and barrels were supplied by the Johnson Automatics Company as a result of the rebuild.
    Suggested prices range from $750 for excellent examples, $600 for very good, $450 for good, and $250 for poor. Add %30 for Winchester models.

During rebuilds, I think it became common for parts to no longer match. Yours is a beautiful example and would probably fetch near or above the top range listed.